inHerit Logo

Katanning Hospital (fmr)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

07081
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

44-46 Amherst St Katanning

Location Details

Units 1-3

Other Name(s)

Amherst Units

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1911, Constructed from 1892

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

Statement of Significance

Although the building has undergone both external and internal modifications, it still has historical significance in that it was the first public hospital in Katanning. It also has rarity value, as there are very few examples in the state of early medical facilities.

Physical Description

A single storey, brick structure, corrugated iron roof with a ridge vent and 4m high ceiling. The nurses' quarters and scullery have since been removed and the building was divided into 3 sections in the 1960s to be used as residential units. Five additional separate brick and corrugated iron units were also constructed on the same lot. The original morgue, located under the floor has been converted into a cellar.

History

The building began construction in 1892 as Katanning's first hospital, the contractors being Messrs Thorn, Bower and Stewart. Although completed in 1892, the hospital still had no furniture to speak of as late as 1894 and many complaints about the new building were voiced in the West Australian:
It is now over 18 months since the substantial building was erected and during the intervening period it has stood as a sort of silent guarantee of benefits to come, but at the same time utterly useless to all intents and purposes. Upwards of a dozen cases, or even more, have come to and passed through Katanning in this time, all or most of which, would have remained here and under Dr House's care must have been satisfactory treated. [WA,27/8/1894, p.7]
Additions to the hospital were made in 1894 and in 1899 (contractor J H Brown, £272/10/4). Nurse's quarters were added in 1906 (contractor A Thomson £410) and in 1911 the scullery was built (contractor L L Kleeman, £179/17/6).
These buildings were connected by a series of covered walkways that blend with the verandah in pitch and materials.
Under the floor of one section of the hospital was the morgue. This space is now used as a cellar.
The old hospital was turned into a residence when the new government hospital was completed in 1925 in Kobeelya Street. From then until the 1960s the building was used as a residence, after which it was purchased by Mr Ambrosini and divided into three separate units. A block of 5 single storey flats was built adjacent to the Amherst Units. Up to the present the verandah and walkway, nurses' quarters and scullery have been removed.

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
George Temple Pool (PWD) Architect - -
Hilson Beasley (PWD) Architect - -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". p.6 West Australian 26/9/1894,
"Newspaper Article". p.7 West Australian 27/8/1894
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". UWA Press 1981
National Trust Assessment Form

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Original Use HEALTH Hospital

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

27 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.