inHerit Logo

Bunbury Water Board Water Reservoir - site


City of Bunbury

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Withers Cr Bunbury

Location Details

Tank Hill

Local Government



South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1924, Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 31 Jul 1996 Historic Site

Historic Site

Historic Site

Municipal Inventory Adopted 04 Sep 2001

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Bunbury Water Board Reservoir was an essential public utility that provided water storage for the town. The reservoir was fed from a bore/pumping station at the base of Boulter's Heights, from where residents could connect to mains water.

Physical Description



The Bunbury Town Water Board was established in 1906 to develop a permanent fresh water supply for the town. With the help of a government loan, two iron tanks with a combined capacity of 70,000 gallons were built on a lofty sandhill immediately behind the town (Boulter’s Heights). The water was connected via pumps to wells at the foot of the sandhills and to mains running under Victoria and Prinsep streets. Contractor Buswell was engaged to carry out the work. This was the public fresh water supply until the early 1920s.

Prior to this, Beigel’s Brewery had sunk a 35 metre bore through basalt yielding potable water. Other bores were sunk in the later 1890s, some marked by windmills. A council well, pump and some water mains had also been installed and Thomas Stokes, owner of a private bore at his Aerated Water Factory in Wellington Street, had offered to sell water to the Council at 1 shilling per 1,000 gallons.

In 1920/21, tenders were called to replace the original iron tanks with a 50,000 gallon concrete tank to cope with the increase in population. This greatly enlarged plant opened in 1924.

During World War II, the installation was important enough to warrant regular VDC Home Defence patrols.

At some stage, Kalgoorlie miners dug a new shaft in Witenoom Street when went through 25 metres of basalt. It was still operational until 1991. In 1961, the old Town Well supply was abandoned

From 1966, equipment was installed to filter the water making it safer to drink. The concrete tank was demolished in 1991.

The Bunbury Water Board was restructured in 1996/97 to become AQWEST. It remains one of two independent water authorities in Western Australia.




No visible remains.

Place Type

Historic Site


Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Reservoir or Dam

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall CONCRETE Reinforced Concrete
Wall METAL Other Metal

Creation Date

08 Oct 2002

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

10 Nov 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.