inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


69 South St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Statement of Significance

Shop & House, 146-148 Hampton Road Beaconsfield (now known as 69 South Street), is a single storey limestone shop with an attached limestone residence constructed c1896 has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

the place is of aesthetic value as an Victorian Georgian style of architecture residence that contributes to the quality of its setting along Hampton Road and South Street;
the place has some historic value as late nineteenth century shop and attached residence that demonstrates the early settlement and development of the Beaconsfield area,

the place has social significance as it contributes to the community’s sense of place, and;

it is representative of an early shop and attached residence in the Fremantle area.

Physical Description

Shop & House, 146-148 Hampton Road (including 69 South Street) Beaconsfield is located on the eastern side of Hampton Road on the south east corner of Hampton Road and South Street. The streetscape comprises of residential and commercial properties dating from the late nineteenth to the early twentieth century and some recent development. Within close proximity is more commercial development including a petrol station diagonally opposite and a car maintenance opposite and former house currently vacant.

The buildings comprise of a single storey rendered limestone corner shop and attached single storey rendered limestone house facing South Street. The buildings appear to date from the late nineteenth century.

The shop has a truncated corner as the main entrance. There is a parapet with engaged pilasters which extend through the height of the building to above a decorative and bracketed entablature. The main window next to the truncated entrance facing Hampton Road although in poor condition appears to be original with engaged decorative timber columns. The next timber framed window is not original and this is followed by two timber framed sash windows which appear original. There is a large sign board behind the parapet and over the truncation.

The house is a single storey and stone and terracotta tile (not original cladding) attached residence with a symmetrical façade designed in the late Victorian Georgian style of architecture. Walls are of rubble limestone with brick quoining to openings have been painted or rendered of various sides. The form of the house is original as can be seen by the 1913 sewerage map, although it has undergone alterations probably post World War ll. These alterations to the roof include a small front gable and recladding the roof with terracotta tiles. The verandah has also been altered and is now supported by rendered pillars over a masonry balustrade. The timber framed double hung sash windows are extant.
There is a low painted brick fence to the front boundary and a small garden area behind.


Note: In 2014 Lot numbers 16 (146 Hampton Rd), 17 & 18 (69 South St) were amalgamated and the address for the property is 69 South Street.
Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, G. E. Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment.
The Fremantle Rates Books show that in 1890 Lots 16, 17, 18 of CSL 7 was owned by Frederick Caesar, David Jose and Henry Albert as undeveloped lots. By 1891/92 the owners were Patrick Roachoek and Albert H. & Co. Lot 16 under the ownership of Albert H. & Co and is described as an iron butcher’s shop.
In 1893/94 Hobbs, Joseph J.T owned lots 17 and 18 and Albert’s & Co Butchers at Lot 16 was owned by Wittenoom, E.H. and Stubbs, G.W & C.H. Albert H. & Co. Butchers is also listed in Wise’s Post Office Directories at this time.
By the 1896 Rates books lists Mold W. A. who was a draper as the owner and occupier of Lots 17 & 18 and Albert & Co. Butchers at Lot 16. It is likely that the shop building on Hampton Road was constructed at this time. The iron butchers was most likely a temporary structure.
Henry Albert as the owner of Albert & Co advertised as family butchers and had business in Perth, Fremantle (45 High Street) and the Hampton Road Beaconsfield shop. Henry Albert (senior) (1819-1892) was an expiree who arrived in Fremantle in 1850 on the Hashemy. He had several businesses and owned five town lots in 1865. His son Henry William Albert married Sarah Preston Cook in 1878. They had three surviving children when he died in 1889. Sarah died in 1951.Sarah Albert (nee Cook, 1858-1951) hoisted the flag at the Foundation Day Ceremony on the Esplanade in 1950. (refer to Local History Collection for images).
In 1894 William Arthur Mold married Catherine Amy Vincent and they had four children between 1895 and 1901. William died in 1915 and Catherine in 1942. William was a Brother of the Ancient Order of Foresters.
By 1900 occupants included with the Mold shops and drapery was Joseph Zuracka a Bootmaker. In 1902 William Colwell (joiner).
By 1906/07 Ida Fabricius (nee Sorenson 1873 – 1968) married Jacob Fabricius in 1896 and is listed as an owner to the shed at Lot 16.
An advertisement in The West Australian in 1909 advertised the place for auction and described the property as comprises “a shop and a five-roomed villa residence” owned by Mr. W. A. Mold who as he had left the district had no use for the place. It stated that the shop facing Hampton Road had two entrances and that the inside measurements being about 50ft. by it- 22ft. The residence is described as a… “splendidly-built stone and brick residence”. This building is well finished in. and in perfect order, and contains 2 rooms, each 181t. x 16ft., one 16ft. x 13ft., one 12fL z 12ft., hall 21ft. x 6ft., kitchen 12ft. x 12ft., bathroom, etc. There is a verandah on two sides”.
Following Jacob’s death in 1909, Ida retained ownership of the lot until it was transferred to George Ing in 1919/1920. The address of Lot 16 was then known as 159 South Street and Lots 17 and 18 were known as 194 Hampton Road. It appears that the shed was probably demolished by 1913 when it is crossed out and listed as a vacant lot.
In 1918 the Daily News reported that a gale that raged through Fremantle caused the side verandah and fence at Messrs. Baker Bros.’ butcher’s shop, at the corner of Hampton Road and South Street were blown away and the verandah of two shops next door blown down.
As well as Laura and George Ing owners included Henry Johnson and James Kirk until 1923/34 when Henry D. San Miguel appears as the owner of the residence at Lot 17 and the shop at Lot 18. By the mid-1930s the residence was known as 63 South Street and the shops 112/114 Hampton Road.
One of the shops appears to have remained a butchers’ shop for some years. According to an article in the Sunday Times, Joseph and his twin Levi Baker had worked at an early age for Albert and Co in Fremantle. When asked how he first started his chain of butcher shops he stated, “ Albert and Co. sold out to a Mr, Stubbs, for whom I opened the first butcher's shop in Beaconsfield. Two years later I started out on my own account at the corner of Hampton Road and South-street, Beaconsfield. This was really the beginning of our business, as it is to-day. four years later I closed this shop.” (Sunday Times 12 June 1927, page 8)
Lots 16, 17 and 18 remained in the San Miguel family until at least 1950 until the last date of the Rates books was researched and Wise’s Post Office Directories ceased publication (further research could be undertaken in the rates books).
Henry Joseph de San Miguel was born 1881 to Angel and Mary de San Miguel (nee Green). Harriet Elizabeth Postans b. 1888 to George Alexander and Maud Mary Postans (nee Tonkin). Angel de San Miguel, was a colonist who arrived with Bishop Salvado in Western Australia by the ship Robert Morrison in 1848, and was with the Benedictine Community at New Norcia. Henry and Harriet married in 1905 and they had eight children.
In 1977 an application by the owner Mr K. Wright to have the property rezoned was refused by the Council on the grounds that the residence was larger than the shops.
The 1979 image shows the corner shop as an upholsterer’s. The entrance to the second shop can be seen on Hampton Road.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall RENDER Smooth

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

22 Mar 2019


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.