inHerit Logo

St Andrew's Church Hall

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

24678
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Aberdeen St Katanning

Location Details

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 1

Category 1

• Possible state or national significance. • Highest level of protection appropriate.

Statement of Significance

The hall is primarily significant in terms of its relationship to St Andrew's Church, which is the oldest remaining church in Katanning. The functions and events, which occurred in the hall, contributed very much to the social and religious life of the people of Katanning, in particular the large Anglican community.
The style of the hall is uncommon in Anglican architecture of the period and is commonly found in non-conformist religious architecture.
The hall and church have strong links with the Piesse family, which contributed much to the construction of both buildings.

Physical Description

A Federation Tudor brick asymmetrical construction, timber framed corrugated iron roof with twin roof vents. It is a four bay plan with a centrally located entry between asymmetrical elements at the front. The bricks were locally made. The building also features castellated parapet walling and buttressing, the latter possibly being added after the hall was completed. The roofing structure is quite unique with a combined rafter and tension cable design truncating the steep roof pitch.
The original Gothic arched front door has been replaced. Windows and other doors all feature Gothic arches. Extensions made to the rear of the church are of a different style. The interior has solid timber roof panelling and painted walls.
Drainage and brick restoration was undertaken in 2005. Concrete ramps have been added to the front and back doors for disabled access.

History

The Hon. F H Piesse laid the foundation stone for the church hall on 27th March 1911, on a site adjacent to the existing St Andrew's Church. The architect was E Summerhayes.
The hall was used weekly for parish meetings, dances, fundraisers and various other activities. A few years after the hall was completed, additions were made to the rear, which included kitchen and eating facilities, toilet amenities.
In the mid 1950s, room was set-aside in the hall for office space for Mr A C Stark, from Wells Organisation Pty Ltd. Mr Stark organised many fundraising events and was instrumental to the continued growth and development of the Anglican community during this time.

Condition

Fair - Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
E Summerhayes Architect 1911 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Council Assessment form
National Trust Assessment form
Nomination form

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

20 Feb 2013

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.