inHerit Logo

Woodlawn

Author

Town of East Fremantle

Place Number

00805
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

20 Osborne Rd East Fremantle

Location Details

Address includes: 208 Canning Hwy, East Fremantle.

Local Government

East Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1902, Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 14 Dec 2001 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 04 Jun 1989

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Nov 1997 Category A

Category A

High heritage significance at a local level, and having potential State Heritage significance; informed consideration should be given to nomination for State Register listing prior to or at the time of consideration for further development, and prior determination of any significant development application for the place. Places to be generally retained and conserved, and worthy of a high level of protection. Conservation Plans may be required depending on relative significance and apparent impact of development on the place; detailed Heritage Assessments otherwise required as corollary to any development application. Strong encouragement to the owner under the Town of East Fremantle Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered where necessary to achieve desirable conservation outcomes in context of permissible development.

Child Places

Statement of Significance

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Woodlawn, a single storey residence, constructed of stone and iron, in the Federation Queen Anne style set, in a lush garden landscape has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

1. The place is a fine and substantial Federation Queen Anne style bungalow that employs all the characteristic design devices of the style, located in an expansive garden setting that retains much mature contemporary plant material;

2. With its substantial mature plantings, the place contributes to the aesthetic quality of the landscape of East Fremantle and has a landmark quality;

3. The place was one of a number of substantial residences built in the area in the latter part of the nineteenth century by Fremantle merchants and businessmen. The residences were designed to reflect the power and status of such men;

4. The place has rarity value in the metropolitan context, particularly in areas south of the Swan River, as a substantial example of a residence in the Federation Queen Anne style, set in grounds that approach their original size and contain elements of the original and early landscape;

5. The place has been used by a variety of community groups, including children on holiday from the Methodist Orphanage (from 1922), East Fremantle Red Cross Emergency Service (during World War Two), YMCA World Fellowship Group meetings (c1954 to 1978) and the Soroptimists Club (1954 to 1974);

6. The place is valued by the community for its associations with eminent Fremantle businessmen, and for its various social uses over time; and,

7. The place was constructed for Samuel Paul Saphir, of G. & R. Wills & Co., and his wife, Mary Tremayne Saphir; then occupied and subsequently purchased and occupied by Earnest Allnutt of D. & J. Fowler Limited, and his wife, Marion (nee Fowler) and their family from 1898-99 to 1914, then bought and occupied by Herbert Locke, furniture manufacturer, and Mayor and Councillor of East Fremantle, and his wife, Ann Rachel, and their family, who owned and resided at the place from 1914 to 1978.
The garages, spa room, and conservatory are assessed as having little cultural heritage significance, as do the swimming pool and present tennis court. Additions to the ‘shed’ to the north of the house also have little cultural heritage significance.

AESTHETIC SIGNIFICANCE
No 20 Osborne Road has exceptional aesthetic value a Federation Queen Anne style house. It retains most of the characteristic features of a dwelling of the type and period. Woodlawn and it substantial mature plantings have a landmark quality at the corner of Canning Highway and Osborne Road.

HISTORIC SIGNIFICANCE
No 20 Osborne Road has exceptional historic value. It was part of the suburban residential development associated with the expansion of East Fremantle and the subdivision of Walter Eston’s Estate from 1901.

SCIENTIFIC SIGNIFICANCE
N/A

SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE
No 20 Osborne Road has exceptional social value. It is associated with a significant area of middle class Federation and Inter-war period development, which contributes to the community's sense of place.

RARITY
No 20 Osborne Road is rare in the immediate context. It is a substantial residence set in grounds that approach their original size and contain elements of the original early landscape. Richmond has rarity value as a cohesive middle class suburb.

Physical Description

Federation Queen Anne

Woodlawn is a single storey house constructed in limestone with a hipped and gable corrugated iron roof. It is a very fine expression of the Federation Queen Anne style. The place is located on a corner lot that address both Osborne Road and Canning Highway. It is asymmetrically composed with a gabled thrust bay and a part width return hip roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on turned timber posts with a decorative frieze. The half-timbered gable bay features double hung sash windows. The entry is located adjacent the bay under an arch. It is given prominence by stucco finished angled pilasters set above corbels either side of the arch. The arch has a moulded architrave and keystone motif. This element is visually terminated by an entablature and cornice. A further feature of the entry is the bull-nosed slate steps up to the porch level and tessellated tile porch floor. The front door is panelled with stained glass leadlights flanked by stained glass leadlight sidelights. There is a hopper over the door. Windows are generally single pane double hung sashes. Walls are random coursed limestone.
The place retains its form and most of its details. There are additions to the rear and side of the house.
The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.

History

Historic Theme: Demographic Settlement

In September 1883 Stephen Henry Parker and James Morrison of Perth commenced subdivision of 65 acres of land to the north of Canning Road. The subdivision occurred at Swan Locations 63, 176, 219 and the south western portion of Swan Location 306. The subdivision included Preston Point Road, Alcester Gardens, Wolsely Gardens, Victoria Road, Alexandra Road, Parry Avenue, and Salvado Avenue.
The Richmond Precinct was owned by Walter Easton and was named after the town of Richmond where Easton lived in England. In 1901 Easton’s sons subdivided Windsor Estate. New streets to the subdivision of the Windsor Estate were named after various members of the Easton family; Walter, Gill, Stratford and Morgan (later Osborne Road).
Initially lot sizes were generous but sold at a slow rate. The initial development of the Richmond Precinct occurred at Canning Highway and Preston Point Road. Substantial residences were developed on these streets giving precedence to the future development of Richmond. The distinct architecture of Canning Highway and Preston Point Road distinguish Richmond from the surrounding area.
By 1913 there were approximately 40 residences in the area between Preston Point Road and Alexandra Road. Osborne Road, Windsor Road and Gill Street had several buildings apiece by 1913. By 1931 approximately half the lots were developed. In 1921 Richmond Primary School was developed between Windsor and Osborne Road and several Inter-War residences were developed in the immediate area. In the 1930s the Workers’ Homes’ Board developed a number of weatherboard, asbestos, brick and tiled residences. Inter-War style front porches were preferred over Federation style full width verandahs.
Redevelopments have occurred throughout the Richmond Precinct. Large lot sizes have allowed Richmond to be subject to the redevelopment of group and multiple housing. However, significant clusters of heritage dwellings remain throughout.
Woodlawn was constructed for Samuel Paul Saphir and his wife Mary Tremayne Saphir. Saphir was a representative of G. & R. Wills & Co. The place was subsequently purchased and occupied by Earnest Allnutt of D. & J. Fowler Limited. Allnutt, his wife Marion, and their family occupied the place from 1898-99 to 1914. It was then bought and occupied by Herbert John Locke and his wife Ann Rachel. Locke was a furniture manufacturer and Mayor and Councillor of East Fremantle. Their family owned and resided at the place from 1914 to 1978. From 1978 to 1998 the place was owned by Anglew Pty Ltd.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Moderate - High

Condition

Excellent

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Immigration, emigration & refugees
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Institutions
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

22 Mar 2018

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.