98 High St Fremantle
Cnr Market St
Constructed from 1886, Constructed from 1902
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Mar 1978||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||28 Oct 1974||
|Statewide Hotel Survey||Completed||01 Nov 1997||
The place is historically significant as a hotel representing the development of Fremantle’s Old Port City from the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a federation period commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place has significance as a landmark in the Old Port City area and has remained a meeting place for the people of Fremantle for over a century. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
A substantial and highly decorative three storey prominent corner hotel, expressing the affluence of the gold boom. The building has a zero setback from the pavement. There are stone foundations and face brick with rendered banding which continues over the arched windows. Three windows on the second floor have curved metal balustrade balconies. There is a faceted pressed metal dome with circular windows on the roof over the truncated corner. A decorative parapet and eight pediments with small windows are above the name 'National Hotel' in stucco on Market and High Street façades. There is an awning over the ground floor that is not original.
High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
As at 1880 this site was occupied by a branch of the National Bank, previously a shop (1868). In 1886 the branch relocated to lot 30 High St opposite Sandovers' store. In late 1886 the National Hotel opened. The site and building was then owned by J. J. Higham, a local merchant and businessman. The building underwent a major reconstruction in 1895 and again in 1902 by Michael and Daniel Mulcahy. In 1953 Allen & Nicholas carried out works, including erection of suspended awnings. On 15/2/1975 the top floor was destroyed by fire. In 1995 Michael Patroni architect carried out reconstruction of original first floor balconies. The facade was renovated 2001-2002.
Prior to the completion of development works, on the 13th March 2007, the hotel was vandalized and set on fire which seriously gutted the interior and the roof, however the exterior remains. The place then changed ownership and currently (2009) is undergoing reconstruction, restoration and adaptation.
|Library Id||Title||Medium||Year Of Publication|
|7467||Fremantle : beyond the Round House.||Book||2005|
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Federation Free Classical|
|OCCUPATIONS||Hospitality industry & tourism|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Depression & boom|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.