inHerit Logo

Original National Bank - Site

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

07065
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

30 Austral Tce Katanning

Location Details

Cnr Clive St

Other Name(s)

National Bank

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1904

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 4

Category 4

• Historic Site

Statement of Significance

The National Bank was the first bank to be established in the new town of Katanning. Since erecting its own premises in 1904 the bank was always been located at this same site. The site therefore has high historical and social significance.

Physical Description

A brick structure with rendering to the facing two walls and a flat corrugated iron roof. The wall running along Austral Terrace is predominantly glass. The present structure has little aesthetic merit.

History

In 1890 the first National Bank manager arrived in Katanning to open a branch in the town. After only three years, however, the branch closed business, due mainly to the economic depression in the eastern states. It was not until 1902 that a National Bank branch was again opened in Katanning in the Piesse Complex in Austral Terrace, the manager being John Anderson.
By 1904 business was so good that the bank erected its own premises on the present bank location on Austral Terrace. This bank was to be brick and consist of eight rooms with the business portion of the establishment facing the Roller Flour Mill. [GSH, 30/4/04]
Electricity was supplied to the bank from the Roller Flour Mill across the road and it is reputed to be the first bank in WA to be connected to electric power.
In 1911 extensive additions and alterations were carried out to the bank. The bank was rebuilt in 1980s.

Condition

Fair

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". p.10 Great Southern Herald, 17/10/58

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Bank
Present Use COMMERCIAL Bank

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

26 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.