47 South Tce Fremantle
Cnr South Tce & Norfolk St
|Town Planning Scheme||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Statewide Hotel Survey||Completed||01 Nov 1997||NA||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 2||
The Oddfellows Hotel is historically and socially important, for its association with significant Fremantle personality George Alfred Davies. Significant example of a stone building from the pre-gold boom period in Fremantle.
Two storey stone structure with brick quoining and zincalume hipped roof, located behind a stone wall. There is a central and prominent chimney with corbelling and a basement with an entrance via stairs, facing Norfolk Street. There are single storey additions to the south side of the building. The first floor has a large pulley above an opening, which has timber tongue and groove casement doors with large hinges. Extensive alterations evident.
The Oddfellows Hotel (Norfolk Hotel) was built in 1887 by George Alfred Davies on the corner of Norfolk Street and South Terrace.
In 1880, the rate books indicate Davies, a shopkeeper, as owner of Lot 241, on which there were a number of cottages which he leased to several occupants. In 1884 a Fee Simple Title was issued to Mr G.A. Davies, merchant, now being the sole proprietor of Lot 241. In 1887, the rate books indicate a 'new hotel building' on lot 241.
Mr Davies was born in Fremantle in 1846 and worked in his father's business from 1863-67 before establishing Grosvenor Cellars, wine and spirit merchants. He was a town councillor until 1887 and later became Mayor of Fremantle in 1895. Mr Davies died on 31 January 1897 and the Oddfellows Hotel was put into Trusteeship under the management of A.E. Davies, Letty Davies and George Davies.
After WWI, the demand for hotels to answer a need for drinking establishments rather than for accommodation brought about changes to their internal structure.
In 1922, the Trustees ownership of the estate, the Oddfellows hotel was bought by the Castlemaine Brewery of East Fremantle. The ownership did not last, as the Swan Brewery bought the Castlemaine Brewery in 1927. From this period onwards a number of publicans were employed to manage the hotel. Ownership remained with the Swan Brewery until 1952.
From 1952, private owners and companies bought, sold and managed the Oddfellows Hotel.
Major additions and alterations costing $500, 000 occurred in 1985 when much of the building was demolished and the front courtyard created. The hotel, renamed Norfolk, sold for $1m to Brewtech, which also owned Sale & Anchor. The courtyard was extended in 2002.
The building is currently (2013) the Norfolk Hotel.
|Name||Association Type||Date From||Date To|
|George Alfred Davies, former Mayor 11685||Original Owner||-||-|
Individual Building or Group
|Original||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Present||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Inter-War Art Deco|
|SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES||Community services & utilities|
|OCCUPATIONS||Hospitality industry & tourism|
|PEOPLE||Famous & infamous people|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.