inHerit Logo

St Luke's Anglican Church, Cemetery and Belfry

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

01085
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Lot 1 Weld St Gingin

Location Details

Associated with the adjacent St Luke's (Anglican) Church Rectory

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Permanent 08 Oct 1996 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Nov 1994 Category 1

Category 1

A place of exceptional cultural heritage significance to Shire of Gingin and the state of Western Australia, that is either in the Heritage Council of WA's Register of Heritage Places or worthy of consideration for entry in the Register. A development application needs to be submitted to the Heritage Council for any proposed development. Recommend: Retain and conserve the place. Full consultation with property owner prior to making the recommendation.

Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council
Anglican Church Inventory YES 31 Jul 1996

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Central to the town, this Church has been in constant use since 1860. St Luke's Church, Cemetery and Belfry is highly valued by the community for its religious associations. The place is a site of commemoration of the settlers of the district. (Criterion 4.1) Due to its continuous use as a place for > religious worship and community activities, St Luke's Church, Cemetery and Belfry has a strong association with the social development of the Gingin district and the Gingin parish. (Criterion 4.1) St I Luke's contributes to the community's sense of place as a reminder of the mid-nineteenth century development of the Gingin district and the role of religion in that development (Criterion 4.2) r

Physical Description

A picturesque Church and graveyard on the north bank of the Gingin Brook, in the centre of the town. It is built from locally quarried Casuarina stone. St Luke's Church, Cemetery and Belfry comprising a local stone and shingle (now covered with iron) church and free standing timber framed belfry (1861, 1969), graveyard (c. 1853-1903), and cypress trees. The place was the first purpose-built place of worship in Gingin; the place has a close association with European settlers of the Gingin district, some of whom are buried in the graveyard. The Church illustrates a vernacular style of architecture which has gothic elements and demonstrates an adaption of English design built to suit lcoal material and building methods.

History

The Crown allocated twelve acres of land c 1860 being Pt SL. 265 completion of the building. The main part of the Church was built in 1860.The builders are believed to be Thomas Hill and Sons. The walls are made of Casuarina stone quarried nearby and it had a shingled roof. There was no vestry and the windows were curtained. The Rev. George J. Bostock BA, who was the first Chaplain, opened the church for Divine Service on 23 February 1861. Donations raised 160 pounds. C 1862 Rev. George Sadler replaced Bostock. Sadler built a home and remained in Gingin until his retirement in 1884. In 1862 the bell for the Church and School was brought to Gingin from the old Government offices in Perth. The Church was used as a schoolroom in the 1860's and 1870's. Repairs were made in 1877, new shingles, stained glass windows and plaster on outside walls. In 1908 there was a new fence with a gate built on the eastern end of the churchyard and in 1909 the Glebe and Vestry were enclosed with a picket fence. Major repairs were carried out in the 1990 s. In 1899 concern was felt that the churchyard was becoming crowded and the situation dose to the Brook was also of concern. It was closed for funerals by 1904, though some people were interred next to close relatives after that time. There are many unmarked graves in the St Luke's churchyard.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin". p 154 & 276

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
4101 Conservation Project St Lukes Anglican Church Gingin: Final Report Heritage Study {Other} 1999
978 St Lukes Church Gingin: Conservation Plan Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1995
3569 St Luke's Anglican Church Gingin Conservation Works Stage2-Final Report Heritage Study {Other} 1998
3920 Gingin Townscape Project Report 1991

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use MONUMENT\CEMETERY Cemetery
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall

Architectural Styles

Style
Vernacular
Victorian Free Gothic

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Shingle
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
PEOPLE Early settlers

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.