inHerit Logo

Railway Hotel (fmr)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

01337
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

66-68 Austral Tce Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Royal Exchange Hotel

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1905, Constructed from 1889

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 3

Category 3

• Significant as an individual building within the Shire

Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council

Physical Description

Comments: i.e. style, additional, modifications etc.
The two-storey hotel is cement rendered brick, timber-framed roof with corrugated iron sheeting. The street fa9ade is rendered in the Federation Italianate style with a parapet level balustrade linking a central panel and the terminating pediments.
The original timber verandah and railings with its decorative frieze and stanchions have been removed. An awning has replaced the verandah and the shop fronts have been altered. New concrete shading devices have been applied to the upper story, visually impairing its aesthetic value. The hotel was extended in 1910.
Renovations were undertaken in 2004/2005 including the addition of Pub Tab and an outdoor beer garden.

History

The former Railway Hotel, Katanning's second hotel, opened its doors in 1891. Richard Bell was the first publican in 1897, the Railway Hotel a wood and iron structure located directly across from the railway station, was changed to the Royal Exchange Hotel and was owned by JC Cook.
In 1899, when Katanning was experiencing a building boom, A Stewart was contracted for a new Royal Exchange hotel building. The new hotel was badly damaged by fire and therefore in 1905 vast improvements were made to the hotel, the builder being Mr Alex Thomson. The two-storey hotel was constructed from bricks made from the F & C Piesse Brickworks

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". UWA Press 1981

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Italianate
Federation Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

31 Jan 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.