inHerit Logo

St Mary's Church Rectory

Author

City of Busselton

Place Number

18163
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

41 Peel Tce Busselton

Location Details

Other Name(s)

& Graveyard, Rectory and Hall site
part of St Mary's Anglican Church

Local Government

Busselton

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1895

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 13 Aug 2014

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 20 Jun 1996 Category 1

Category 1

Category 1 places are the most important places in the Shire with the highest cultural heritage values and generally have built features that are part of their significance. Some of these places have been included in the State Register, and are afforded statutory protection under the Heritage of Western Australia Act. Other places in Category 1 should also be assessed by the Heritage Council for possible inclusion in the Register. All places in Category 1 should be included in the Town Planning Scheme, given protection under he scheme, and incentives developed to assist with long term conservation. Incentives might be financial in the form of low interest loans and grants, or non-financial, such as development incentives and conservation advice.

Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Oct 1980

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 07 Aug 1961

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

St. Mary’s Anglican Church Rectory, a limestone and iron in the Federation Italianate style is a good and substantial example of a rectory and of a building in the style. It is a distinctive building and integral part of the Anglican Church precinct.

Physical Description

A limestone and iron rectory in the Federation Italianate style.
The place is a generous limestone walled building with stucco trim, a facetted bay window and iron roof, in the Federation Italianate style. A deep verandah extends across the southern face of the building from the bay window. Tall limestone chimneys with rendered caps further enrich the substantial steeply pitched roof.

History

There is conflicting information on the place and it is said that the place was built in 1895 and not occupied until 1906. More research is required on its origins and use.
A substantial building with wide verandahs and a hexagon bay window in one corner. A rector first occupied the building in 1906.

Integrity/Authenticity

High Degree/High Degree
Integrity Notes: The place remains in uses for its intended purpose and retains a high degree of integrity. Authenticity Notes: The place appears little altered and retains a high degree of authenticity.

Condition

Good

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
10138 S.A. Mounted Constable John Brabazon Forsayth (c.1882 - 1852). Gentleman architect shot dead in an affray with a snake. Electronic 0

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters
Original Use RELIGIOUS Housing or Quarters

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Italianate

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion

Creation Date

05 Sep 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.