Local Government
Quairading
Region
Wheatbelt
Harris St Quairading
Quairading
Wheatbelt
Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
---|---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Documents |
---|---|---|---|
(no listings) |
Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Category | Description | ||||
Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 18 Apr 1996 | Category 3 |
Category 3 |
The place is significant in demonstrating the evolution of the medical services available in Quairading, and significant associations with pioneers.
The original building was a brick construction with a corrugated iron roof. 3 wards, kitchen, operating theatre, bathroom, and the Matron's room which was also an office, were all surrounded on three sides by verandahs
Historical theme: HEALTH Members of the RSL initially proposed that a hospital should be built in Quairading, to complement the existing Doctor who conducted regular surgery hours. The proposition met with strong opposition as the Dangin Hospital was operational at the time. Argument continued over the future location of the hospital. Eventually a committee was elected to plan the early stages of the hospital. The committee included HH Clemens, FS Jacques, T Argus, F Reid, TW Ettridge, EJ Hadlow, WA Fraser, and HJ Irwin as Secretary.
In 1926 tenders were called for the building, and Herbert Parker was successful. The hospital was designed in such a way that if it was not successful, it could be sold as a residence. The Quairading community raised much of the £800 required for the building funds.
In July 1927, a Hospital Carnival was held prior to the opening of the hospital, it included a Sports Day and Linen Tea. The hospital was opened in October by the Minister for Health SW Munsie. The hospital was the only building on the sandy hill, and many cars were bogged in the sand on opening day.
Within a short space of time part of the verandah was enclosed to accommodate more patients, and by 1930, a labour ward was created by enclosing the south-east corner of the verandah. Canvas verandah blinds enabled the patients to be accommodated on the open verandahs. Semi invalid patients performed duties at the hospital to recompense for their care and accommodation.
In 1935 a Ladies Auxiliary was formed. Water supply was a problem, and an opportunity was taken to present a petition signed by every town resident to the Minister for Works, Mr Cunningham, when he visited Quairading after his lunch at Doodenanning. Cunningham agreed that the Toapin Weir had the capacity to be enlarged, but at a restrictive cost of £10000. C Kirkwood representing the Dangin ratepayers, strenuously objected to Quairading being connected to the water supply. Quairading was connected in 1936. In 1937 new wards were constructed at the hospital.
Numerous extensions and modifications have taken place to the hospital in the years since then.