inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


56 Harvest Rd North Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1911

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 14 Dec 2016 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

Parent Place or Precinct

22385 North Fremantle Precinct

Statement of Significance

House, 56 Harvest Road, is a limestone, brick and iron two storey house dating from the 1910s. It is an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture, and although it has some altered or modified elements, they do not necessarily detract from its overall significance. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the heritage of the surrounding area. It is representative of the more affluent building stock located within the residential areas of North Fremantle, set on a large lot in comparison to surrounding houses. It is historically significant as a representation of a fine residence in North Fremantle area; built by the prominent Pearse family, local industrialists.

Physical Description

House, 56 Harvest Road, is a large two storey limestone, brick and iron house with asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the federation Queen Anne style of architecture. Walls are limestone with tuckpointed brick quoins and reveals. Roof is complex hipped and gabled corrugated iron. The house has undergone extensive alterations and additions, many which occurred in the changes made in 1968. It is difficult to ascertain what the original house looked like. Plans show the original house to be similar in plan to Turton house; a basically square plan with truncated corners creating the opportunity for an interesting roof line and gabled hips, typical of the style. The southern wing facing the street, is however, the 1968 addition which has been skillfully incorporated in the original style of the house. A sweeping bullnosed verandah is supported in turned timber posts, and elegantly detailed with arched timber friezes and balustrading. Timber French doors opened on to the verandah. Timber casement windows with transom windows have projecting moulded sills. The corbelled chimneys are intact. The house is on a large lot with well kept gardens, a sweeping drive and a high level brick and iron fence and gate to the front elevation. The block extends north through to Ainslie Road.
This place contains a limestone feature.


From the nineteenth century, Harvest Road was important as an access route to Point Direction, the location of a sheltered landing place. Boat building yards were located at Point Direction for much of the twentieth century, during which time the Harvest Road jetty also became a popular family swimming and picnic area. Originally, Harvest Road began at Stirling Highway (then called Bruce Street), but from 1899 it was extended through to Queen Victoria Street (then called Victoria Street). Harvest Road has always been a predominantly residential street, developing steadily from the turn of the twentieth century, and characterised at least in its early decades as a place with a large number of rental properties. Three industries on the street were Purina (1935-55) and Nabisco (1955-88) cereal manufacturers (number 3-5), Rowlands Co Cordial, Wine and Spirits manufacturers (1908 to at least 1939, at number 11), and various marine industries, most prominently Browns Boat Building Yard (from c.1900), which was located between Corkhill (Elizabeth) Street and the River.

House, 56 Harvest Road was constructed c.1911 for the prominent North Fremantle Pearse family, and occupied until 1918 by George Pearse of the firm Pearse Brothers. The place was owned from 1910 by Alfred George Pearse, factory manager, and in 1921 was transferred to Leslie Kenton Pearse. At the time, Leslie was a book manufacturer in Claremont, and had also worked as a factory assistant and salesman. However, he was the youngest son of James Pearse, one of the three Pearse brothers to found Pearse Brothers Tannery and Boot Factory in the 1871, and following the retirement of his two uncles and the death of his father James, Leslie became manager of the boot factory. Leslie Pearse, born in 1892, was married to Jessie Hammersley. He was educated at Scotch College, served 4 years in France during World War One, was a North Fremantle Councillor for 25 years from c.1928, was prominent Fremantle business circles and became involved in Rotary. Leslie and Jessie do not appear to have taken up residence at 56 Harvest Road until 1922-23, as Herbert W.G. Scannell is listed at the address from 1919 to 1921, and the place is vacant in 1922. Following Leslie’s death in 1955, title for the property was transferred to his widow, Jessie Hammersley Pearse.

In 1958, the place passed out of Pearse family ownership, being transferred in relatively quick succession to Alfred Basil Cronen (shearing contractor) and Kathleen Isadore Cronin (hairdresser) in 1958, then Margaret McCarthy (widow) in 1962 and finally Gottfried Lenz (painting contractor) and his wife Christina Maria, of Cottesloe, in 1965. Major additions were made to the place in the late 1960s. While the initial house was a single-storey brick residence on limestone foundations, with a verandah wrapping the front of the house and corner vistas created to the southeast and southwest, the slope of the block allowed for a two-storey addition in front of the house, with the second storey floor level meeting that of the original c.1911 residence and enclosing most of the original verandahs. Plans for the additions were drawn by John Taylor, Architect, of Mt Lawley. These additions allowed the place to be converted into nine flats.
The place fell into disrepair by the 1980s, and was vacated.
In 1989 it was purchased by Peter and Leonie Randel, who used money from a gold strike Peter made at Leonora in the early 1990s to undertake major renovations at the place. It was adapted to a single, large residence, including opening and amending enclosed verandahs at the upper level to creating a wrap-around verandah, and constructing a new kitchen, laundry and bedroom extension. An article in the West Australian in May 1993 notes that the Randels were planning to build further additions to the rear of the house.

This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN -significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.


Moderate degree of integrity (original intent not clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability, restored, some loss of fabric and extensive alterations).
Moderate degree of authenticity with basic original fabric remaining. Some loss of fabric.
(These statements based on street survey and internal inspection 2016).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Certificate of Title Council records
Fremantle Local History Collection Files, (filed by address) Council records
Council Records Council records
"North Fremantle Heritage Study", prepared by Craig Burton, for the City of Fremantle, June 1994, Place data sheet No B3-4 Heritage Study 1994
Wise's Post Office Directories
Apperly, R., R. Irving & P. Reynolds, Identifying Australian Architecture, Angus and Robertson, 1995. book 1995

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Two storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

09 Jun 2021


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.