inHerit Logo

Windsor Hotel


City of South Perth

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


112 Mill Point Rd South Perth

Location Details

Cnr Mends Rd

Local Government

South Perth



Construction Date

Constructed from 1898

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 14 Nov 2000
State Register Registered 27 Feb 1996 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Nominated 21 Dec 1990

Heritage Council
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 04 Sep 1989

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The following statement is drawn from the Register Entry for Place 2392 Windsor Hotel prepared in 1995.

Windsor Hotel has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
• the place is representative of the Australian pub tradition as a two storey hotel with verandahs, located on a prominent street corner;
• the place is a fine example of Federation Filigree Style;
• the place is a landmark in the townscape of South Perth;
• the place is closely associated with the early development of suburban housing south of the river in the late 1890s; and,
the place is a fine example of the commercial architecture of J.J. Talbot Hobbs, one of Perth's prominent architects of the 1890s.

Physical Description

The Windsor Hotel, prominently located at the intersection of Mends Street and Mill Point Road, is an important component of the Mends Street heritage precinct. The building was sited to take advantage of the patrons visiting the Perth Zoo whose journey included a ferry trip across the Swan River. The intact street verandah is scarce in suburban Perth, particularly with intact cast iron lace and columns.

The two storey Windsor Hotel building, designed by architect J J Talbot Hobbs and constructed in 1898, is a good example of Federation Filigree style combining Italianate details with decorative cast iron filigree verandahs. The building is constructed with tuck-pointed brickwork in Flemish bond and its corrugated iron roof is concealed behind a parapet. The verandah and balcony extend along both street façades and are covered with a lean-to roof. The verandah roof is broken by gables which highlight the main entrance to each street façade and the truncated corner. The verandah roof is supported on fine, ornamental cast iron posts with capitals and cast iron balustrading. The truncated façade is also rendered.

At the lower level, the windows are plain arched sash windows, recessed behind the outer face of the building. They are connected at their springing point by brick ornamental arched mouldings. The rendered and painted brick street dado wall, dividing the al fresco area from the public footpath, is visually intrusive and conceals the foundation of the verandah columns. It provides a severe line of demarcation and its removal should either be encouraged or alternatives sought.

The main entry to the Windsor Hotel is located off Mill Point Road. The double door entrance has a rendered masonry arch surround with leadlight fanlights and side lights of clear glass. Since 1962, there have been a series of alterations and modernisations to the original hotel.


The hotel was built for George Thomas Strickland (c1859-1947) by architect, Joseph John Talbot Hobbs (1864-1938) and the contract, let in April 1898, was worth £4,050. Shortly after the opening, Strickland passed the management of the hotel over to his nephew, William Henry James Strickland (1862-1940). The name of the hotel was likely to have been a dedication to the family name of the British Royal Family.

Hobbs gained his architectural training in England, and arrived in Western Australia in 1887. He soon established a reputation as one of Perth's finest architects. His early commissions include, Christ Church, Claremont (1892), the Weld Club, Perth (1892) and the Swan Brewery, Perth (1897). He designed many large residences for wealthy colonists who prospered during the gold boom period including, Haddon Hall, South Perth (1897); Walter James' Minnawarra (1899); and, his own residence, the Bungalow (1904). Hobbs later had a distinguished military career serving as Lieutenant General during the First World War and was knighted for his service.

The opening of the Windsor Hotel came at a time when the popularity of South Perth was increasing. From the mid-1880s, there was slow but appreciable growth in the number of residents in South Perth and within ten years it had become a well established suburb. After the mid-1890s a speculative element entered into the sale of South Perth suburban land. Some of the larger sections were bought for the purpose of quick sub-division and sale to take advantage of rising prosperity and the prospect of ferry or bridge communication being established with Perth. In 1892, the South Perth Roads Board District was formed.

By the turn-of-the-century there were four jetties at South Perth, and boats were the chief means of communication with the city. By the end of the 1890s South Perth was progressing, and a number of substantial facilities were being developed. The Zoological Gardens opened in October 1898, a school opened and postal facilities were established. As the area developed rapidly, some public facilities were not able to be built quickly enough and for a short while the Windsor Hotel served as the Post and Telegraph Office, which operated from a room at the foot of the stairs with Miss Theresa O'Dea as Postmistress. This arrangement would have been facilitated by the owner of the Windsor Hotel, George Strickland who had strong ties to the Post and Telegraph Services as he previously held the position of Deputy Superintendent of Telegraphy in the colony.

A lengthy description of the Windsor Hotel in January 1899 shortly after its opening stressed the picturesque locality with access to breezes making the hotel a delightful resort. At that time the hotel included the entry hall, public bar, a large dining room to accommodate 100 diners, post and telegraph office, commercial room, billiard room, private bar, drawing room on the first floor, two bridal chambers, nine single bedrooms, bathrooms and lavatories for ladies and gentlemen, and broad and expansive balconies.

George Strickland owned all the land on the eastern side of Mends Street between the Esplanade and Suburban Road and built a large home facing the Esplanade at the same time he built the Windsor Hotel. Strickland offered the Windsor Hotel for auction in 1924; but was not in fact sold until 1929 when it was purchased by Mary Thomas, later the well known hotel owner Mary Raine for £25,000. Management of the Windsor Hotel was transferred to Jack and Dora Carter who held the license until 1945. Later licensees were Cole and Meg Sangster. The Sangsters retained the lease of the Windsor Hotel for ten years after Mary Raine bequeathed the Windsor Hotel and several other properties to the University of WA in 1957.
Since 1962, there have been extensive additions, alterations, and some remodelling, that have taken place. The number of patrons had been steadily increasing since the opening of the Narrows Bridge. Three architectural firms in particular have been involved in additions and alterations to the place; Cameron Chisholm & Nicol (1962, 1965, 1970), Oldfield Knott (1980s) and Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown (1980, 1991). The major works were carried out in 1962, 1965, and 1970.

In 1998, Mr Geoffrey Ogden, the former Licensee, purchased the hotel from the University of Western Australia (Raine Foundation). Since that time the hotel has continued to be well maintained, adapted and upgraded in response to changing standards and customer expectations.






Name Type Year From Year To
J.J. Talbot Hobbs Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Federation Filigree

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Apr 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.