inHerit Logo

Toodyay Court House (fmr) and former Convict Depot Archaeological Sites

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

02560
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

13-14 Fiennes St Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0449154 6508861 14/11/2011 Address includes: 4 Duke St & portion of Anzac Ave, Toodyay. (Also previously known as Toodyay Shire Council) MI States: 13-17 Fiennes St BDD 22-1-13

Other Name(s)

Convict Hiring Depot & Hospital sites
Toodyay Court House (fmr)

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1896

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Registered 24 Oct 2014 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Classified by the National Trust Classified 07 Jun 1977

Heritage Council
Aboriginal Heritage Sites Register Adopted

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 1

Category 1

A place of exceptional cultural heritage significance; provide the highest level of recognition and protection available. Recommended for entry into the the State Register of Heritage Places; provide maximum encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. (TPS procedure also relevant).

Statement of Significance

The site has historic value for its associations with the beginnings of the depot at Toodyay and the provision of law and order. The former courthouse has aesthetic value as it is a fine example of the architecture of George Temple Poole, and complements another example of his work in the Toodyay Post Office. The place has social value for its role as the centre of civic administration and has associations with community leaders. The place is a landmark which makes a significant contribution to the townscape.

Physical Description

Single storey brick structure with corrugated iron hipped roof. Main projecting bay characterised by a series of three full-height arched windows with painted dressings incorporating a feature keystone voussoir. The building sits upon a rendered plinth which emphasises the change in topography across the site. Main entrance is via steps up to a colonnaded verandah. Timber sash windows with 9-paned top window above single pane window. Additions to rear with temporary offices and ancillary accommodation.

History

This building was constructed in 1896, opening in January 1897. It replaced the original courthouse on the site which was built in 1867 to the design of Richard Roach Jewell. The site was also previously used as a convict hiring depot, one of three established in the colony after convicts were introduced in 1850.
In 1902 the last Resident Magistrate was withdrawn and the building was vacated. Many of the records which were stored in the building in the ensuing years were destroyed. The old warders' quarters were demolished in about 1931. In the process of the Road Board renovating the place in the 1950's the adjacent old hospital was demolished. The building has been used as the local government administrative centre since then with some additions taking place to facilitate the development of that function.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Medium-Low
Authenticity: Medium-Low

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
George Temple Poole Architect - -
Richard Roach Jewell Architect - -

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9970 Conservation management plan for the archaelogical remains at Newcastle Convict Depot (Toodyay) Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2011
11615 Transforming the colony: the archaeology of convictism in Western Australia Book 2017
9713 The history of the Toodyay convict depot: a tale of the convict era of Western Australia. Book 2010

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Institutional Housing
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Town, Shire or District Hall
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Other
Original Use HEALTH Hospital
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Courthouse

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Free Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Wall STONE Local Stone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Institutions
PEOPLE Early settlers
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Workers {incl. Aboriginal, convict}
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Government policy
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Law & order

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.