inHerit Logo

Canning Bridge

Author

City of Melville

Place Number

16178
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Canning Hwy over the Canning River, between Applecross and Como Applecross and Como

Location Details

Includes both bridges

Other Name(s)

Eastbound Downstream, ref 913
Westbound Upstream, ref 912

Local Government

Melville

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1937, Constructed from 1999

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 16 Jun 2020
Heritage List Adopted 14 Nov 2000 City of South Perth
State Register Registered 02 Mar 2012 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 17 Jun 2014 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection: recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places which gives legal protection; development requires consultation with the City of Melville. Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Melville Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

Canning Bridge, comprising two almost identical timber bridges, Canning Bridge eastbound (1937) and Canning Bridge westbound (1958), over the Canning River between Applecross and Como, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

The place is rare as an intact, substantial timber bridge comprising two adjacent structures built at different times; the site represents changing transport systems in Perth since 1829, from its origins as a ferry crossing, construction of the original Canning Bridge (1849), its role as part of the first road link between the city of Perth and the port of Fremantle through to construction of the current structures; the fishing platform underneath the 1958 structure is one of the few remaining of its kind; the place is valued as a site of recreational activities in the past to the present day, including organised sporting events,
and as a venue for informal recreational activities; it achieved prominence in 1962, as the end point for rowing at the VII British Empire and Commonwealth Games; the place is an important landmark when viewed from the Swan and Canning Rivers, and the river foreshores. It contributes to the cultural landscape of the Applecross commercial precinct which includes Raffles Hotel (1937) and the distinctive façade of Applecross District Hall (1934); the place is a good example of a large timber bridge with cross braced driven piles, and demonstrates evidence of the innovative techniques of bridge conservation developed by the Main Roads Department in the 1970s.

The signage on the bridges and the metal railings in the centre of the bridge have little significance.

Physical Description

Canning Bridge comprises two timber and steel framed bridges crossing the Canning River at Canning Highway connecting Melville and South Perth.

History

In summer, the Beeliar Nyoongars used the Canning River as a hunting ground as there was an abundant supply of food for them, and they used the land area around the Canning Bridge as a campsite.

Initially, the site of the Canning Bridge was solely a ferry crossing at the narrowest point between the later settlements of Applecross and Como, close to the junction of the Canning and Swan Rivers. The first bridge across the river opened in 1843 to the design of Superintendent of Public Works, Henry Trigg, and constructed by Solomon Cook. A second replacement bridge was constructed in 1849 to increase the clearance beneath the 1843 bridge. In 1867 a new bridge was constructed with convict labour to increase traffic flow and address flood damage. Again, in 1908 and 1937 new bridges were constructed to replace the forerunners.

In 1958, a new bridge was constructed solely for westbound traffic and the earlier 1937 bridge designated for eastbound traffic, to overcome the inadequacy of two-way traffic on a single bridge. Subsequently, concrete road overlays were introduced to both bridges in 1976 and 1984, and major repairs and maintenance was applied in 1994-96 and 1998-99.

Condition

Sound

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"State Register of Heritage Places Assessment documentation for Place No. 16178 'Canning Bridge'". HCWA 2012

Place Type

Historic site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use Transport\Communications Road: Bridge
Original Use Transport\Communications Road: Bridge

Architectural Styles

Style
Other Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other METAL Steel
Other TIMBER Other Timber

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Road transport

Creation Date

29 Nov 2005

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

06 May 2021

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.