inHerit Logo

Katanning Fire Station site & Katanning Fire Station (new)

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

14529
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

6 Austral Tce Katanning

Location Details

Cnr Aberdeen St

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1964, Constructed from 1920

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Jun 2000 Category 4

Category 4

• Historic Site

Fire & Rescue Service Heritage Inventory Adopted 30 Aug 1997

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Although the present Fire Station has little heritage significance, its association with the site and its continued use as the location for Katanning's Fire Station since 1920 has some value.

Physical Description

The present fire station is a utilitarian brick and tiled complex with accommodation for two appliances. The grounds are open and without adornment.

History

In 1919, the Katanning Volunteer Fire Brigade was established. A station was erected for the brigade on land exchanged from the Road Board to the Fire Brigade. The original station was constructed of wood and iron and consisted of a cottage with an engine room at the front. The successful contractor was M. C. Dawson for a cost of £321/5/-, although the finai cost ended up as £358. On 11 November 1920, the Chief Officer officially opened the Katanning Fire Station.
In 1929, alterations to the station were completed, the architect being G Lavater and the cost amounting to £651.
In 1963, the fire district was extended and gazetted.
In 1964, the old station was demolished and the present fire station was built. The new station, which was opened in December 1965, was designed by architect K. C. Duncan (Perth), and cost just fewer than £12000 to build. When first opened the station had room for two engines and also contained a bedroom, shower, ladies' and men's toilets, kitchen and workshop.

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
K C Duncan Architect 1964 -
G Lavater (additions) Architect 1928 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". p.3 Great Southern herald; 17/12/1965,
'Katanning Fire Station (former)' CAMS Heritage Database Place Form

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Fire Station
Present Use GOVERNMENTAL Fire Station

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Other TIMBER Other Timber
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities

Creation Date

05 Nov 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.