Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

Katanning Primary School

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

05523
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 Dore St Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Dore Street School

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

1902 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Town Planning Scheme YES 09 Jan 1998 Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Jun 2000 Category 2

Category 2

• Of very considerable significance to the Shire of Katanning. • High level of protection appropriate.

RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Completed 26 Feb 1999 NA

NA

Statement of Significance

The Dore Street School (Katanning Primary School) has historic and social significance. From its opening in 1902 and then with a regular program of additions to accommodate growing enrolments and the closure of small outlying schools, the school reflects the expansion of the Shire of Katanning to a major centre of the Great Southern Region. The school has played an integral role in the town of Katanning as well as in the Great Southern Region as a place of learning and social interaction for it pupils for over 95 years.
There are children from a variety of ethnic groups enrolled at the school, many of whom, English is their second language.

Physical Description

A complex of mainly brick construction. Structures realised over an extensive period of time reflecting the style of the day in each campaign. The dominant visual form is rendered walls and tiled pitched roofs with a strong "moderne" style entry.

History

On 23 April 1902, Reserve 5771, bounded by Dare Street, Daping Street and Bokarup Street and the then unformed Dore Street, was set apart for a school site. The size of this reserve meant that the school could be expanded in the future, to meet increased enrolments and growing needs and requirements.
In July 1902, the contract for the erection of the school and quarters was awarded to J H Brown for a cost of £1,057/2/0. The contract was completed in December of that year. In 1903, the new school, which was able to accommodate 100 pupils, was opened. The school was constructed of brick and consisted of two classrooms, with a hat lobby and lavatory each for boys and girls, two shelter sheds (one each for boys and girls), outside latrines and two 1000 gn tanks were also provided. A teacher's quarters was also built along Daping Street.
It was not long before additional classroom space was required, and a series of extensions to the original school building occurred in 1905, 1911, 1912, 1920, 1922, 1923, 1947, 1951-53. In 1915, further accommodation was supplied by the construction of two (separate) Pavilion Classrooms located on either side of the main school building closest to Dore Street (no longer extant).
Other additions to the Katanning Primary School comprised the relocation of former school buildings to the Katanning site. In 1912 the former Wagin Manual Training School building was relocated to the site. In 1946, approval for the relocation of the Dongolocking school - a timber, asbestos and corrugated iron building - to Katanning was given. In 1949, former Whittakers Mill school quarters were brought to Katanning to provide accommodation for the then Assistant Head Teacher.
In February 1960, the school was officially called the Katanning Primary School, and further works and extensions were carried out between 1961 and 1967.
In 1980, a new canteen and undercovered area was added. In 1981, the old school quarters were demolished. In 1996 the top quadrangle area was paved and a gazebo was built. In 2000 a further upgrade of the quadrangle was undertaken.
In 2004/2005 Dongolocking School was relocated to the Katanning Museum Site, rather than at Bokarup St end of school. A Pre-primary playground and shade cloth area have been added to the lower wing of the school.

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Association Type Date From Date To
PWD Hillson Beasley Architect 1902 -
W. C. Dawson (pavilion classrooms) Builder 1915 -
J.H. Brown Builder 1902 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage Assessment, Katanning Primary School CAMS 1999

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present EDUCATIONAL Primary School
Original EDUCATIONAL Primary School

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, weatherboard
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

14 Dec 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

20 Feb 2013

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.