inHerit Logo

Canning Contour Channel (fmr)


Heritage Council

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Lot 50 Canning Mills Rd Kelmscott

Location Details

Address includes: Lots 51 & 52 Turner Rd, Kelmscott; Lots 400, 51 & 52 Canning Mills Rd, Roleystone; Lots 301-304 Contour Rd, Roleystone; Lot 3089 Canning Dam Rd, Ashendon. VFL. Also in City of Gosnells. The channel runs adjacent to Channel Road for 16 kms from Roleystone to Gosnells (now Martin). Registered curtilage DOES NOT include central section that runs through residential areas of Roleystone (low authenticity)

Other Name(s)

Contour Channel/Fireplaces
Two Stone Chimneys

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1935 to 1937

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Permanent 03 Jun 2005 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 01 Dec 2008 Category A+

Category A+

Already recognised at the highest level - the State Register of Heritage Places. Development requires consultation with both the Heritage Council and the local government authority. Maximum encouragement to the owner should be provided under the City of Armadale's Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should also be considered.

City of Armadale
Classified by the National Trust Classified 28 Aug 1995

Art Deco Significant Bldg Survey Completed 30 Jun 1994

Aboriginal Heritage Sites Register Recorded

Parent Place or Precinct

03830 Canning Dam


The condition of Canning Contour Channel (fmr) ranges from excellent to poor. Some sections are in good condition, with little change to the fabric since construction in 1937. However, other parts are missing or have been severely damaged through intrusion by rocks or natural bush growth from the surrounding terrain.


Name Type Year From Year To
E. W. Tindale, the Chief Engineer Architect - -
Victor Munt and Don Munro, Resident Engineers Architect - -
Russell (RJ) Dumas, Engineer in Charge of Construction Architect - -

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
10173 Canning Dam: a golden era Book 1983
6025 Canning contour channel : heritage assessment. Heritage Study {Other} 2003
10136 Canning Dam: historical engineering marker. Unveiling ceremony 2 September 1998 Brochure 0
10137 Our Dam: Canning Dam Brochure 1997
9984 Perth's early water supplies. Australian Heritage Engineering Record. Book 1984

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Other
Original Use GOVERNMENTAL Reservoir or Dam
Original Use Transport\Communications Water: Other

Architectural Styles

Other Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Local Stone
Wall CONCRETE Other Concrete

Historic Themes

General Specific
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES Depression & boom
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Workers {incl. Aboriginal, convict}
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES Water, power, major t'port routes

Creation Date

28 Sep 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

31 Dec 2016


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.