52-62 South Tce Fremantle
Metropolis Night Club
Constructed from 1904
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007||City of Fremantle|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
|City of Fremantle|
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Mar 1978||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||18 Oct 1974||
Largest theatre for live shows in Fremantle at the turn of the century and was a popular venue for shows during WW1. The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Fremantle Town Centre dating from the early decades of the twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Two storey rendered and parapet building, has a zero setback from the pavement. The parapet has a pediment where '1904' appears in the pediment. A verandah awning over the first floor has glass sheeting (not original).
Architect F.W. Burwell was responsible for the design of one of the largest halls for live theatre in Fremantle, originally seating 1200 people - the Dalkeith Opera house. Later known as Kings Theatre, the foundation stone for this building was laid by the owner, Mr James Gallop on 20 February 1904. Tenders for the project had been let in January of that year and when the above ceremony was performed, Mr James Brownlie, the contractor, had completed the foundations and commenced the brickwork for all external walls. The project consisted of the theatre and five shops on a site adjoining the Freemasons Hotel, (now Sail and Anchor Hotel) at that time also owned by James Gallop. Entry was between shops into a foyer on ground floor, to stalls in the auditorium and a staircase led to supper rooms over the shops, accessible to the dress circle, with a balcony over the pavement.
The King's Theatre was used during the WW1 by a repertory group known as the Black Butterflies - a group of young single women who put on variety shows. The theatre was closed in the early 1920s and was subsequently sold and was 'converted' for use as a panel beating works. The seats and dress circle were removed and a concrete floor inserted throughout the auditorium. The stage was also removed and the arch bricked up to provide another garage with access from the rear.
More recently from 1970s, the building has been used for night clubs. Balcony restored 2002/02. Currently (2002), Metropolis Concert Club on the first floor, and The Mill and Swanston Jewellers on the ground floor.
|Name||Type||Year From||Year To|
|Frederick William Burwell||Architect||-||-|
The Fremantle MHI management category for this place was amended and adopted by the decision of Council on 28/09/2011.
|Library Id||Title||Medium||Year Of Publication|
|5082||Metropolis Night Club : archival records prior to works 2000/2001.||Report||2001|
Individual Building or Group
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Shopping Complex|
|Original Use||SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL||Theatre or Cinema|
|DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY||Settlements|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.