inHerit Logo

HOUSE, 263 HIGH STREET

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

23278
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

263 High St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1904

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 263 High Street, is a single storey timber and iron house dating from 1904. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical building stock located within the residential areas of Fremantle. It is historically significant as a representation of typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

House, 263 High Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with painted timber boards. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under the gable roof and is supported by simple profile timber posts on rendered masonry piers, and a rendered masonry infilled balustrade. The symmetrical front façade has a central door with fanlight over, and timber framed double hung sash windows either side. The verandah is enclosed at each side with paneling. The house is situated above street level and cement steps lead up to the cement verandah. There is a low face brick fence with rendered capping to the front boundary line

History

As was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High St.
The house that stands on 263 High Street was built pre 1904/05. In 1904/05 it was owned by James Gilles and occupied by John Brentnall, a railway guard. Gilles owned the place in the early 1920s and by 1927/28 was owned and occupied by Frederick Forster, a previous tenant of Gilles. In the 1940s the house was owned by Lila Daisy Oates.
The house was originally numbered 463 and is part of Lot 1024.

Integrity/Authenticity

High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as fair (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

09 Aug 2010

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

26 Feb 2020

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.