inHerit Logo

Mrs Jones' Cottage

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

01013
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

3 Weld St Gingin

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Jones Shop & Residence (fmr)

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1859

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 3

Category 3

A place of some cultural heritage significance to the Shire of Gingin. No constraints. Recommend: Encourage retention of the place, and document the place if retention is not possible.

Statement of Significance

This is the oldest survivng building in Gingin.

History

Swan Location 262 (10 acres) was purchased by Thomas James Jones in 1859. Mr. Jones built the mud bat section as a home for his wife and himself. Believed to have been run as a small Shop by Mrs. Jones after they built a better home called the Granville. It was used as a Schoolroom c 1870. Also in the 1870's Jack Bayneham used a verandah on the south side of the building as a Blacksmith's shop.
In c1900, James Ernest Prior took over the shop. It was called 'Prior Bros. Store.' Mr. Bayneham was still the Blacksmith and lived in the building. In 1924 the Shop was taken over by Mr. Bradshaw and his assistant was Cyril Riley. Cyril along with his brother Joseph eventually took over. Mrs. Jones' cottage, which was still owned by J.V.A. Jones, was sold after his death to Martin Mullins in 1933. Mr. Mullins moved the shop fittings, widened the verandah and added a kitchen and lined the interior. Mr. & Mrs. Henry Ward (M. Mullins' daughter) moved from Mooliabeenie and lived there with their family until the 1980's.
R.Withnell bought the property and built a new home between the Shop and the Brook and has partly renovated the old house.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin".

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Other Use COMMERCIAL Shop\Retail Store {single}
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall EARTH Adobe {Mud Brick}

Creation Date

12 May 2003

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.