inHerit Logo

Joseph Duffel Residence


City of Subiaco

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


135 Hamersley Rd Subiaco

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Duffel House

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1906

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 06 Jun 2008

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Nominated 23 Dec 1982

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Aug 1981

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 04 Feb 2003 Category 4

Category 4

Level 1 Residential Conservation Area

Statement of Significance

The place has aesthetic significance as a particularly fine example of the architectural style typical of the area and period. It has historic significance reflecting the development and settlement of the area, and for its associations with former Mayor, Joseph Duffell, a former resident.

Physical Description

Single storey red brick and tile residential building. Tall corbelled chimney with rendered top and terracotta pots. Terracotta ridge tiles. Conical spire to turret with decorated moulding under eaves. Bullnosed verandah with carved brackets to timber posts. String course at head level. Four casement sashes with fixed panes over to front window. Unique features include slate roof, arched verandah entry, front vestibule with small tower above, small cellar, tradesman's entrance, cast iron lace.


Built for Joseph Duffell, later Mayor of Subiaco in 1914, designed by Hine & Selby. Bricks were from France, brought to Australia as ship's ballast. Folklore has it that the ornate tower, since it had no windows or access, contained treasure. (Ref: AHC documentation; Schlatter, F., A History of Subiaco and A Short Historic Walk Through Subiaco, 1979.)
The area of West Subiaco developed primarily as residential from the early 1900s. Most of the main roads were gazetted by 1883, but were unsealed until the 1900s. Derby Road was named after Lord Derby, Secretary for Colonies. Hensman Road was named after Mr A P Hensman, Judge and Attorney General. The first houses were established in streets closest to the commercial area along Hay Street and Rokeby Road, and the area west of the civic square, including Barker, Bagot, Hensman, Douglas, Lawler, Loretto, Raphael, Denis and Rowland Streets. Another early subdivision was located along Rokeby Road, and included Rawson, Campbell, Coolgardie, Duke, and Union Streets. Most of the West Subiaco precinct was developed by 1915, with the most recent houses to be built by c1925 in the south west corner. Two land releases, called Redfern Estates No. 1 and No. 2, were situated along the railway line opposite the new suburb of Daglish. Early public buildings in the West Subiaco precinct included the Industrial School on Barker Road (1897), later converted into King Edward Memorial Hospital in 1916.
(Sources: Wise's Post Office Directory 1905-1925; Real Estate Maps, Battye Library Collection; Spillman, Ken, Identity Prized: A History of Subiaco, City of Subiaco, UWA Press, 1985; Chate, A, H., History of Subiaco, c1952.)


Name Type Year From Year To
Hine & Selby Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Queen Anne

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Lead
Roof STONE Slate

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.