inHerit Logo

Drew Robinson & Co (fmr)


City of Albany

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


82-84 Stirling Tce Albany

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Albany Light Opera Company Building
Dylan's on the Tce, Adelaide Steamship Co Bld

Local Government



Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1880

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Statement of Significance

This place is one of a large number of important heritage buildings in Stirling Terrace. Stirling Terrace is one of the significant Local Heritage Areas in the
City of Albany. The building that is today (1999) occupied by Dylan's restaurant was built in the 1880's. The Victorian Free Classical building has a number of element characteristics of this period of architectural style such as a symmetrical facade and a parapet concealing the roof.

Physical Description

Set amongst a group of significant buildings along Stirling Terrace
Two storey structure
Roof concealed by parapet wall with decorative accents on skyline
Symmetrical façade richly modelled in masonry with classical decorative motifs
Arched windows framed by classical columns (meant to resemble classical temples)
Cantilevered awning finished with timber filigree


Dylan's Restaurant (20000 is on a block of land that originally had two street frontages, Stirling Terrace and Frederick St. It is thought that the original owner was John McKail and Co, as indicated on the façade at that time. This was later covered up by the verandah.
Early photographs indicate that the building had some association with the merchant company Drew,
Robinson & Co based on advertising for the company on the eastern side of the building. A later 1890s
photograph shows a sign for the Adelaide Steamship Company on the eastern face. An even later photograph advertises Offerd's Engineering
The uses of the building varied. Tenants in 1897 included Victor Elliot, Hairdresser and Tobacconist. In 1936 the building was called the King's Albany Hostel and in the 1960's was used by Tom the Cheap (grocer) and as home to the Albany Light Opera Company. At one time it was known as the Crystal Café. In the late 1970s the building was under threat of demolition due to its poor state of disrepair and the proposed sale of the
property by the liquidators of Tom the Cheap. However, in 1978, the Albany Town Council determined not to allow demolition of the building to go ahead under the provisions of Part VI of its Town Planning Scheme
No 1.
In 1983 the owner of the building restored the place. Plans were made to replace the 1960s awning with a
verandah based on the original built c1910. The new structure was, however, still an awning with timber
filigree work.
Stirling Terrace is one of the City of Albany's most significant heritage assets, both as streetscape and as
a collection of Victorian and Federation period buildings overlooking Princess Royal Harbour. Stirling
Terrace is located in visually striking topography and its segmented crescent plan form remains basically
as it was when first recorded by Surveyor Hillman in 1835. The mature trees and the harmonious
architectural composition of diverse building types and styles provide additional visual interest.
Stirling Terrace was developed from the 1830s following the establishment of Albany as part of the Swan
River colony, and was an important part of the development of the region and the State to varying degrees
from the 1830s until World War One. The 1835 Hillman survey plan set the scene for the emergence of
Stirling Terrace as the prime location in the town, with a rich variety of social, commercial, leisure,
institutional and service functions. The majority of the built fabric which remains today was completed in the
Period 1867 to 1915. The buildings were designed by some of the State's most eminent architects and many were built for prominent citizens and institutions.
Over the years the commercial focus of Albany has moved to York Street, with many institutions, such as
banks and the post office relocating there. Free of substantial development pressure at a critical time, Stirling Terrace has managed to retain many of its historic structures and features. Viewed from the harbour, and from the western approach to the town, Stirling Terrace has a landmark quality as a whole.


Integrity: Moderate
Modifications: Removal of the original verandah
Central window has been blanked off
Lower storey windows




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
L Johnson; "Town of Albany Heritage Survey". City of Albany 1994
K Bizzaca; "Stirling Terrace, Albany, Draft Conservation Plan". Considine & Griffiths Architects 2000

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
7665 Design parameters for Stirling Terrace heritage areas. Heritage Study {Other} 2000
5038 Stirling Terrace, Albany : conservation plan. March 2001. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2001

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Theatre or Cinema
Present Use COMMERCIAL Restaurant

Architectural Styles

Victorian Free Classical

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Cultural activities

Creation Date

27 Jun 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.