inHerit Logo

Davilak Hotel

Author

City of Fremantle

Place Number

14891
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

396 South Tce South Fremantle

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Davilak Tavern

Local Government

Fremantle

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1996, Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 1B

Level 1B

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of exceptional cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is required. It is recommended that this place be considered for entry in the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places.

RHP - To be assessed Current 15 Dec 2005

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Davilak Hotel, 306 South Terrace (1903) is historically significant as a hotel dating from the gold boom period in South Fremantle and still operating for its original purpose. The place is a fine example of the Federation Filigree style of architecture with elaborate detailing. It has aesthetic significance for its landmark qualities and its contribution to the streetscape. It has social value to local workers and residents as a gathering place.

Physical Description

The Davilak Hotel (also known as the Davilak Tavern) is a two storey commercial building that has a verandah which extends the length of each elevation and has a truncated entrance. The verandahs are supported on slender turned timber posts and also derive support from diagonal steel brackets strutted back to the walls under the first floor and under the verandah roof over. These struts are a legacy from the time when the verandah posts at street level were removed. The posts have a balustrade of closely spaced balusters at first floor level, a lattice freize at ground floor level and timber brackets at each level.

A Heritage Assessment was prepared in March 2010 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for external signage.

History

South Terrace was formerly called Mandurah Road. It followed the line of ancient Aboriginal tracks and was the main entrance to Fremantle from the south. Mandurah Road used to continue south along the coast, but owing to shifting sand dunes, it was necessary to make a deviation to Douro Road and travel further inland.

In 1859, Fremantle Suburban Lot S14 was owned by Matthew Fletcher, of Fremantle. In 1892, Edward William Davies (a rate collector), William Alexander Chamberlain (a boat builder) and William Ernest Wray (Town Councillor) were tenants in common of Suburban Lots S14 & S15. The syndicate owned much land in South Fremantle and subdivided it for residential and commercial purposes in the mid-1890s.

The Davilak Hotel appears in the Fremantle Rate Book for the first time in 1903/04, along with a stable and stores. The land was owned by Joseph and Robert Holmes (butchers) and the first publican was George B Beard.

The South Fremantle Tram Service, which commenced in 1905, terminated at Douro Road, not far from the Davilak Hotel.

By 1913, James Durkin was the owner and occupier of the Davilak Hotel. He also owned the surrounding land (Lots 42, 43, 44 and 45) between Commercial Road and Harbour Rd. James Durkin died on 7 January 1928 and the title to the properties passed to the executors of his will – the Perpetual Executor Trustees and Agency Co (WA Ltd). (When a new title was issued in 1939, Perpetual Executor Trustees was still the owner).

In 1932, Davilak Hotel was leased to Katherine and Lionel Samson and George and John Payne, wine and spirit merchants. In 1937, it was leased to George John.

A diagram dated 1954 shows the hotel at the corner of South Terrace and Harbour Road. A conjoined brick shop was located to the north of the hotel. At the back of the hotel were a bitumen beer garden faced by a small weatherboard building, a large galvanised iron shed and several other small buildings.

The Perpetual Executor Trustees remained the registered owner of the Davilak Hotel until 1969, when it was purchased by John and Ellen Parry and Donald and Wendy Teague (all of the Ozone Hotel, Adelaide Terrace) and Edward and Maureen Warr (managers of the Davilak Hotel). Extensive internal renovations were undertaken in the early 1970s.

In 1980, the hotel was sold to Kire Gastevski, Hotelkeeper, Katija Gastevski, married woman, Zivko Gastevski, bar manager, and Mica Gastevski, married woman, all of the Davilak Hotel. In 1985, the manager of the hotel, Marrah Carter, had the exterior of the hotel painted green and gold in support of the America’s Cup bid. The hotel was also upgraded at this time.

In 1986, the Davilak Hotel was owned by Trimble Nominees Pty Ltd of Mandurah (still all of lots between Commercial and Harbour Roads).

Over the years, the Davilak has been an important part of South Fremantle’s social and urban fabric. For a time, one of the bars was called the ‘Passion Pit’ or the ‘Virgin’s Parlour’ – it was a ladies’ lounge for darts nights and get-togethers. Regular drinkers also formed their own football team.

Circa 1996, the hotel was converted to mixed commercial and residential use, with a bar, bottle shop, restaurant and ten apartments, some of which incorporate the original upstairs accommodation. Other apartments are situated at the rear of the property. Oldfield Knott Architects designed the redevelopment.

This place was included in the "Heritage Study South Fremantle", prepared by John Taylor Architects, for the City of Fremantle, June 1993. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - PURPLE -of architectural and historic significance in its own right.

A Heritage Assessment was prepared in March 2010 by the City of Fremantle for a DA submission to Council for external signage.

Integrity/Authenticity

High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
Medium degree of authenticity with some original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).

Condition

Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
Oldfield Knott Architects Architect 1996 -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Other Use RESIDENTIAL Flats\Apartment Block
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Filigree
Federation Free Style

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Rendered Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

10 Dec 1999

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.