inHerit Logo

Recreation Ground, Grandstand & Pavilion

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

12178
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Jubilee St Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0448542 6509573 (Recreation Grounds) 0448625 6509557 (Coach works)

Other Name(s)

Donegan's Cottage
Parker's Cottage

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1886

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value for its associations with the development of recreational facilities in Toodyay and leading identities in that endeavour. It also has associations with the development of industry and housing in Toodyay in the late 1800s.
The site has historic value as the location of a former aboriginal burial ground.
The site has research value as it has potential to contain subsurface archaeological remains.

Physical Description

Historical recreation ground with associated seating stands and clubhouse facilities. Also used as show ground with associated animal enclosures.

History

B.D. Clarkson first came to the Avon Valley in 1860 in the company of the Dempsters and Charles Harper Jnr. His father (Michael Clarkson) held pastoral leases over 'Mt Anderson' and in 1866 was Secretary of the Agricultural Society. In 1867 B.D. Clarkson married Isabella Lukin and left the district to manage his uncle's pastoral station in the Champion Bay district. During the 1880's he was also on the Board of Education, a Justice of the Peace and was voted to the Road Board in 1884.
The beginnings of North Newcastle began in 1886 when B.D. Clarkson loaned land on the north bank of the river to the cricket club after the depot pitch was no longer suitable. Cricket was very popular at the time and the Aboriginal team from New Norcia dominated the scene. The Toodyay cricketers and footballers combined to form the Athletics Club and purchased the ground from Clarkson. Within a few years they raised money to build a pavilion.
The anticipation of the railway extension to Toodyay in 1887, Clarkson surveyed land around the recreation ground into one acre blocks and sold them for twenty pounds each. This year the recreation ground was the final venue of the procession marching down the main street to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
In 1888, C.G. Ellery the bookmaker erected three cottages on the lots and established fruit trees and gardens around them. Donegan also bought some land and in 1891 when he proposed planting a vineyard and aboriginal person informed him that the site was a burial ground and should no be disturbed.
In 1890 the Toodyay Agricultural Show held their annual event at the recreation ground. Also in this year Kingston and Best, blacksmiths and wheelwrights, established a saw mill and coach building works near here. It was a prosperous business employing twelve men, motorising the operation and making new carriages for most of the leading farmers in the district. It was the town's second manufacturing industry after Hasell's brickworks. The mill has been demolished.
In 1896 the recreation grounds were enlarged and fenced and a large pavilion was erected for indoor exhibits. In 1916 the burial site was gazetted as an aboriginal cemetery.
In 1951, the new Exhibition Hall was constructed and in 1960 it was extended and named in honour of Sir Ernest Lee Steere. In 1969, the Pavilion Change Rooms were erected. In 1994, the Toodyay Agricultural society removed the old Scout Hall located at the Showgrounds.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Medium

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Grandstand
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Grandstand

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

18 Sep 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

25 Aug 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.