inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


9 Louisa St South Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1905

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Statement of Significance

House, 9 Louisa Street, is a typical timber and iron single storey house dating from c1905. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

9 Louisa Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed in c1905 in the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards to daado height and fibre cement sheeting above. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron. The verandah is under a continuous corrugated iron roof supported by timber posts. The front façade has a central front door with half sidelights flanked on either side by timber framed casement windows. There is a low rendered masonry wall to the front boundary line.


The area was owned by Captain William Owston, and then his stepson, Frederick Jones. Jones served with the Fremantle Council for many years. On the subdivision of the property in 1891, family names were given to the streets. Louisa was the daughter of Frederick and Emma Jones. Louisa Street was one of the first in this area of South Fremantle to be developed.

House, 9 Louisa Street was built between 1901 and c. 1910. It is shown on a Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated c. 1910 as a weatherboard house with a projecting, half-length front verandah. The rear verandah was enclosed at both ends with weatherboard.

In 1930/31, the house was owned and occupied by Selina Sully. John Waters was the owner from c. 1950 until the early 1960s, when it was bought by Michael Pankin, who was still the owner in 1981.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Wall ASBESTOS Fibrous Cement, corrugated

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

19 Jan 2000

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Mar 2020


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.