Balloons Bunbury silho Freo Rail station Govt house Marvel Bar Rotto Swan building
inHerit Logo

Shops & Dwelling (fmr)

Author

Shire of Toodyay

Place Number

02573
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

102 &106 Stirling Tce Toodyay

Location Details

GPS: 0449434 3509164 MI States; 104 Stilring Tce BDD 19-12-12

Other Name(s)

'Shoemaker House'
Ellery's shop and dwelling

Local Government

Toodyay

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

1870 to 0

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Town Planning Scheme YES 17 Sep 2009 Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Aug 1998 Category 2

Category 2

A place of considerable cultural heritage significance; provide an appropriate level of recognition and protection. Recommend that maximum encouragement is provided to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Nomination to the National Trust Classified List is recommended, to afford protection by means of moral persuasion. (TPS also relevant).

Statement of Significance

The place has historic value as one of the first commercial developments in the town. The place has aesthetic value for its a unique design and construction responding to the site and street. The place also has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape of Toodyay. The place has historic value for its associations with Charles Ellery and Daniel Connor.

Physical Description

A single storey brick and iron structure with twin projecting gabled bays forming two shops, with skilion roofed verandahs extending over the pavement supported on simple timber posts. The glazed shop front forms much of the facades to the gable wings.

History

These were the first of several shops and dwellings built by Daniel Connor as part of the initial commercial development in Toodyay. One of the shop/dwellings was rented and later owned by Charles Ellery. The existing antique shop was a butcher's shop for many years. In 1901 C.G. Ellery was a member of the inaugural Newcastle Board of Health and in 1906 was a member of the Newcastle Vigilance Group which was formed to promote improvements for Toodyay.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: Medium-High

Condition

Generally Good

Associations

Name Association Type Date From Date To
Daniel Connor Builder 1870 -
C.G. Ellery Previous Owner - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present COMMERCIAL Shopping Complex
Original COMMERCIAL Shopping Complex

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

4 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

22 Jan 2013

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.