inHerit Logo

St Nicholas Church Hall


Town of Cambridge

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


84 The Boulevard Floreat

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1999

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Nov 2018 Category 5

Category 5

Historic Site Site relevant to a past event, group or individual which contributes to the understanding of the history of the Town of Cambridge. Recognise and interpret the site if possible.

Anglican Church Inventory YES 31 Jul 1996

Heritage Council

Parent Place or Precinct

11508 St Nicholas' Anglican Church

Statement of Significance

The site has historic value for its association with the first building constructed in the Wembley Parish by the Anglican Community.

The site has social value for the community as the place continues to be used as a church hall which has been ongoing since 1953

Physical Description

The Hall was redeveloped in the late 1990s, replacing the earlier brick structure constructed in the 1950s. The current Hall is a single storey building fronting The Boulevard, and shares the site with the Church and the rectory is adjacent. St Nicholas' Hall is has incorporated the asymmetric planform of the original Hall, with the projecting wing containing a gable roof. In this instance, the window extends into the gable creating a large glazed feature to the frontage. The remainder of the building is more utilitarian in appearance, a centrally place double entrance door with canopy and a three section window are the only other features
of the façade. The roof is a shallow pitched hip to the main part of the building, clad in colorbond.


The Anglican Parish of St Nicholas (Floreat Park) was initially part of the St Edmund's (Wembley) Parish until designated as its own parish in 1972. At first, people from the Floreat area worshipped in the tennis club. The parish later gathered in the church hall which was built on this site in 1953.

The church hall foundation stone was laid in early 1953. The building project was organised by Rev Jack Watts, the Rector of the Wembley Parish which included Floreat Park. It was a functional design, built with restricted funds and designed by local parishioner architect Milton Boyce with assistance from Mr N.McGow. The builders were Harnett and Horner. The cost of the project was £9000, which was partly covered by a loan from the Diocesan Trustees for £5,500 and a gift from the Church Office of £1,500. The remaining £2,000 was fund raised by the local parishioners.

On 6 December 1953, the completed St Nicholas Church Hall was consecrated by Archbishop Moline. The name was chosen by a small committee of ladies led by Mrs Carter and honours St Nicholas the patron saint of children.

Fund raising to build a church in this developing parish began in the 1950s and the new church, St Nicholas' was completed just prior to the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games. The church hall continued to provide a service to the community until it was no longer viable and the new building was opened in 1999.

Dempster House located on the adjoining lot 82 The Boulevard and was used as the rectory for the parish.

The three buildings have continued to provide a service to the community since the mid 20th century.




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Aerial photographs, Landgate Online Resources 1953-2016
St Nicholas' Anglican Church Floreat Park Website
Cambridge Notes, Cambridge Local Studies Centre, Item T265. Online Document

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church Hall

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Cement Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

26 Mar 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

06 Jun 2019


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.