inHerit Logo

House, 7 Brook Street

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

17721
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

7 Brook St Gingin

Location Details

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1880

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 3

Category 3

A place of some cultural heritage significance to the Shire of Gingin. No constraints. Recommend: Encourage retention of the place, and document the place if retention is not possible.

Statement of Significance

This was a solid example of mud bat construction.

Physical Description

There were three main rooms in a row and a small room on the South East corner. It had front and back verandahs. All except 2 of the windows were original, 6 pane pivot windows, - one of which was hinged on after the house was built, and one replaced. The original top panels of two of the front doors opening onto the southern verandah did not have the small glass panes - only one door was probably as originally constructed. Fireplaces of kitchen and living area backed onto each other, the cooking fireplace raised and deep but small width, and the log fireplace wide and shallow. Floor boards were originals in the three main rooms, and had been renewed in the small bedroom.The original ceilings had been replaced. The house occupied a large block close to the Gingin Brook on the southern side of The Horseshoe.

History

Believed to have been built by Frederick Felix Hill in the 1880's. Another story says G. Butler built it. F.F. Hill and his family lived here until he built a new home in Constable St (builder of that home was G. Butler), which is now Thorn's House. This house was purchased in the early 1920's by Zaccariah Brown and then by Mr. & Mrs. Noel Lucraft in 1948. It served as a Doctor's Surgery (B. Williams) in the late 1970's and a private residence since then. It was then owned an occupied by K & L Tipping who were planning to renovate until tragically a fire burnt majority of the house on 23 November 2006. The walls and fireplace still remain on the stone foundation of the three main rooms. A small room on the South East corner of the house was not affected by the fire, however, the winter rains has slowly collapsed and washed the mud wall away.

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin".

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Other Use HEALTH Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall EARTH Adobe {Mud Brick}

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Aboriginal Occupation
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

02 Mar 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.