inHerit Logo

Lake Grace School

Author

Shire of Lake Grace

Place Number

12698
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

School Pl, Absolon St Lake Grace

Location Details

Local Government

Lake Grace

Region

Wheatbelt

Construction Date

Constructed from 1978, Constructed from 1923

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 23 Sep 1998 Category 4

Category 4

Some heritage value, but not essential to an understanding of the district. Recommend that the place is not constrained by the Town Planning Scheme. Re-assess the significance of the place when the Inventory is regularly reviewed. Record prior to redevelopment or demolition.

Statement of Significance

The place demonstrates the development of the education facility in Lake Grace, and a significant association with early settlers in the region. The place is representative of school architecture of different periods, and is a fine example of the type.

History

By 1911, a settlement had formed in Lake Grace. As early as 1913, a Progress Association had formed in Lake Grace and requested that the Education Department establish a school. The school opened on 5 February 1914, with Miss Effie Padley taking charge of 11 students. The school's official opening took place on 18 April with Sydney Stubbs officiating, and a picnic to celebrate. As was the case for schools throughout Western Australia, a minimum attendance of 8 students was required in order for the school to remain open. The school opened and closed a few times with fluctuating numbers of children.
The Dumbleyung Police originally patrolled the Lake Grace region, prior to 1923 when the first Police Station was opened in Lake Grace on this site, after the school had relocated the educational facility. The police complex consisted of a dwelling, an office, jail and an exercise yard, as well as horse accomodation at the rear of the property. In the late 1930s the police were occasionally in need of the Roads Boards ute. No police vehicle was purchased for use in the Lake Grace Shire, until after the Road Traffic Authority was established and located in the Police Complex constructed at that time ( mid 70s ??)
In 1923, negotiations were taking place for a new school for the 32 children, to be constructed on the site, and seven acres were added to the then existing 5 acre site. It was decided to construct a new school which was subsequently opened on 20 November 1923 by the Governor. The one room provided for 31 children under the direction of the teacher Mr Benjamin Dodds. The original school room
was dismantled and removed to North East Lake Grace, which later was known as Beenong.
By 1932 the building was extended, and a partition formed two rooms. With the advent of Mr Argent's school bus in 1947, the outlying schools closed and the children were transported into Lake Grace. In 1952 a new school was constructed and opened by AF Watts, the Minister for Education, assisted by Dr T Robertson, the Director of Education. A plaque was unveiled by Mrs John Lay (Nee Lizzie Slarke), who was one of the original students at the first Lake Grace School. The three new classes provided for 107 children. By 1961, 171 students attended the school, and a new class room was added. The school was upgraded to Junior High School status in 1962, and became a District High School in 1974. Further extensions took place in 1978 with the addition of an administration block and library resource centre. On 9 November 1984, the 80th anniversary of the school was celebrated with 1500 people in attendance. A monument was unveiled at the site of the original school room. The materials for the monument were donated by the families of the original students and was locked in the Bankwest vault, to be opened on the school's 100th anniversary.

Condition

Very Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
AE Clare PWD Architect 1952 -

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Bird J; "Across the Lake: A History of Lake Grace 1911-1992". Bookmark Publishing House WA 1992
Kellow J; " History of Lake Grace School research paper". 1993
"Newspaper Article". Wagin Argus 27 October 1994:

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

30 Oct 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.