inHerit Logo

Mosman Park Memorial Park


Town of Mosman Park

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Palmerston St to Swan River Mosman Park

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Buckland Hill Memorial Park

Local Government

Mosman Park



Construction Date

Constructed from 1900

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 02 Sep 2014

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Does not warrant assessment Current 21 Sep 2009

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide War Memorial Survey Completed 01 May 1996

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Removed from RNE

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Mar 1998 Category 2

Category 2

High Level of Protection TPS appropriate: provide maximum encouragement ot eh owner under the town planning scheme to conserve the significance of theplace.

Statement of Significance

This park has been public open space since the beginning of this century and has been the primary memorial to the fallen of the two World Wars and other wars. The park has been, and continues to be, well cared for. It is an attractive recreation area as well as being the entrance to the Town of Mosman Park offices. The first Mosfest was held in this park.

Physical Description

Large park that extends from Palmerston Street to the Swan River. The top area has landscaped gardens, an avenue of pine trees from Palmerston Street fates, the Town of Mosman Park Administration Centre, a memorial rotunda, lawns, mature eucalypts, flower beds. The central area, between Bay View Terrace and Johnson Parade, has an avenue of trees, car park, lawns, mature trees and a toilet block. The lower area abuts other reserves and the river, it has lawn, mature trees, shrubs and the Swan Canoe Club building. There are two jetties, the larger of which incorporates Meads Fish Gallery restaurant.


1905 trees planted. 1930 Bay View Terrace bisected park. 1934-5 developed as Soldiers' Memorial Park, Norfolk Island pines planted by families of servicemen killed in WWI, erection of gates at western and northern entrances. Stone quarried and air raid shelters during WWII. 1946-53 park re-establishment. Rotunda built 1952. Early 1960s Council Administration Centre built in park, landscaping of fountains, entrance and terraces. 1990 Memorial plaques at Bay View Terrace entrance.


Very Good


Name Type Year From Year To
Marshall Clifton Architect 1960 -


Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Tuettemann, E Between River and Sea. P. 193-5 1991
Town of Mosman Park file

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
907 Municipal Inventory

Place Type



Epoch General Specific
Original Use PARK\RESERVE Park\Reserve
Present Use PARK\RESERVE Park\Reserve

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other STONE Limestone
Other METAL Steel

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

18 May 1998

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Apr 2021


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.