inHerit Logo

Parkerville Tavern

Author

Shire of Mundaring

Place Number

08544
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

6 Owen Rd Parkerville

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Judge Parkers
Railway Hotel

Local Government

Mundaring

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1902, Constructed from 1926

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2016

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 11 Oct 1999

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 22 Apr 1997 2 -Considerable significance

2 -Considerable significance

High degree of integrity/ authenticity; very important to the heritage of the locality Expectations: Conservation of the place is highly desirable. Any alterations or extensions should minimise impacts on the original site or building and reinforce the significance of the place.

RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 03 May 1999

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Parkerville Tavern has very high aesthetic significance for the style, scale and landmark value the building has which are both rare in the Townsite and the Shire generally. The Tavern also has high social significance for the role and focus the place has provided, and should continue to provide for Parkerville's community.

Physical Description

The Parkerville Tavern is a very elegant brick, two storey, former hotel, sitting close to the road overlooking the Jane Brook and associated park. It has large verandas and balustrades on both floors across most of the south facing frontage, and on the western end, and which contribute significantly to the building's impact on its setting. Its elegant but simple detailing suggests the character of Federation Free Style or Arts and Crafts c 1890 - c 1915 (see Apperly pp. 136-143). Assuming the references to major additions in 1926 refers to the two storey additions to the front, the expectation might be for a style of building more from the inter war period rather than the character of the earlier period expressed in the building. The timber veranda detailing (to ground and first floor), whilst some may not be original can be presumed to closely resemble the original with its arched underside of veranda beams together with unflamboyant ladder friezes; the dominant projecting roof gables over the front veranda; the token inclusion (or remnant) of rough cast render combined with brickwork on the chimney are of a later 'Bungalow' style, whilst the rendered bands of brickwork, rendered sills and lintels, the double hung timber windows, Georgian mullioned in the top sash and the odd surviving elements of stained glass all express the building's character from the earlier period.
The single storey building attached behind the two storey frontage, and which presumably formed part of the original Inn, gives the impression of having been a simple rectangular building covered by four, small hipped roofs connected by box gutters in the valleys between them. The original associated residence was described as being built of timber and would not appear to have survived.

History

In 1902, widow Alice Ottey obtained a wine and beer licence for her timber weatherboard and iron-roofed house which had been constructed sometime after she joined her husband Joseph in Parkerville in c. 1897. The house was reputed to be the second one built in Parkerville. The premises were known as the Railway Hotel. Soon after her daughter Catherine's marriage in May 1902, Alice rented the hotel to W. W. Bramwell and subsequently to retired surveyor W.H. Angove. Sometime between November 1905, and September 1906, Angove made substantial additions to the place and received a full public house licence. In February 1921, judging by an advertisement in The Motorist & Wheelman, the Railway Hotel, as it was still known, was a single storey building. At that time the proprietor was R.J. Congdon. Subsequent owners such as Eileen Smith have altered the building and today it bears little resemblance to the original building.
In 1995, approximately a quarter of what was the original 22 acre block owned by Joe and Alice Ottey, behind what is now the Parkerville Hotel was named the Alice Hebb Reserve. After Joe's death in December 1900, Alice had married Charles (Paddy) Hebb, and according to his memoirs, this reserve was originally given to the Mundaring Road Board for a recreation ground.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High- most of the original fabric intact for rear and to storey addition.
Modifications: Two storey addition at front 1926 (?)

Condition

Very Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
W Hardman Architect - -
Lionel Bowser Cumpston Architect - -

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Other Use RESIDENTIAL Conjoined residence
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Old English

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Other TIMBER Tongue & Groove
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

18 Jun 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

10 Feb 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.