inHerit Logo

Site of Bryant Memorial Hall

Author

City of Busselton

Place Number

00396
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

45-47 Kent St Busselton

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Bryant Memorial Church & Hall
Congregational Church

Local Government

Busselton

Region

South West

Construction Date

Constructed from 1873

Demolition Year

1985

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 13 Aug 2014

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 13 Sep 2006 Category 3

Category 3

Category 3 places are places of interest with built features, but their conservation is not considered to be essential. While retention and conservation is encouraged, significant change and even demolition is an acceptable outcome, though some recording prior to these action is recommended.

Register of the National Estate Nominated 23 Dec 1982

Heritage Council
Uniting Church Inventory Completed 01 Oct 1996

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Classified 08 Jun 1982

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Bryant Memorial Hall has cultural heritage significance as a good example of post World War II church architecture belonging to Uniting denominations. It is also a significant place of worship for Non-conformist groups and was used as a relief centre during times of hardship.

Physical Description

Bryant Memorial Hall is a single storey brick hall with a lean-to roof and an extended porch entrance that is marked by a tall brick column. The building is set in a carefully landscaped garden.
A small reconstructed ‘L’ shaped wall at the front of the building was built using random limestone from the original building. A plaque is set within this wall, the text as follows: ‘These stones of the original church have been retained as a memorial to the pioneers who maintained worship in this place from 1870. This plaque commemorates the dedication and opening of the new community centre on 16th June 1985. ”

Integrity/Authenticity

High Degree/High Degree
Integrity Notes: The place retains a high degree of integrity. It is currently used as for Sunday school and play groups.
Authenticity Notes: The place retains a high degree of authenticity. Archaeological Description: Nil

Condition

Reconstructed L shaped wall with a plaque.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Present Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other Community Hall\Centre

Architectural Styles

Style
Vernacular

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Other TIMBER Other Timber
Wall STONE Limestone

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Religion
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.