inHerit Logo

Lemnos Hospital

Author

City of Nedlands

Place Number

01833
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Stubbs Tce Shenton Park

Location Details

INCLUDES: Aleppo pine Tree, Admin Block, Services Block, Crete House, Borneo House, Alamein House, Patient Shelter & Pavilion + site features, landscape areas and elements DOES NOT INCLUDE: Flanders House & Gallipoli House

Other Name(s)

Shenton College

Local Government

Nedlands

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1926

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List Adopted 18 Dec 2017
State Register Permanent 27 Aug 1999 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 27 Apr 1999 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection: recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places which gives legal protection; (some places in this category are already on the State Register of Heritage places); development requires consultation with the Heritage Council of WA and the local government; provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Nedlands Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 15 Apr 1999

Heritage Council
Statewide War Memorial Survey Completed 01 May 1996

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Selby-Lemnos Hospital has significant aesthetic, historic, social, rarity and representative cultural heritage
value. It is a fine representative of a Large number of Menial Health buildings in the City of Ncdlands. The
selling and architectural integrity of the buildings have strong heritage merit that reflect an interesting mix of
interwar design influenced by Federation filigree style. The hospital was uniquely designed to provide a
homely domestic selling to enhance the possibility of recuperation from mental illness, this was a diversion
from the norm in the post World War I period.

Historically the hospital has had strong associations with providing a vital service in Mental Health for
soldiers recuperating from two world wars.

Physical Description

The site is well located with a pleasant curved driveway flanked by mature trees. The buildings are basically
red brick, and appear set in bushland context with outlook to the west.

The unity of the added buildings with the original structures has been obtained by restrain! in the use of
materials and proportions. This results in a peaceful. non-aggressive environment. The reception building is
two storeys with a broken back clay tiled roof. composite brick and timber balustrade recanting the filigree of
the Federation era, and the Union flag in the design of the balustrade.

The ward buildings appear less opulent than the reception building. each laking its relative part in the
hierarchy of development on the site. Attractive well maintained gardens complete the setting of this historic
place.

History

Lcmnos Hospital was opened on 12 July 1926 to provide treatment and care for ex-servicemen suffering from
mental illness. The hospital was named after the island in the Aegean Sea used as a hospital during World
War L Though there is no evidence, il is thought that Dr James Bentley, the Inspector General of the Insane in
1926 chose the name Lemnos for the new hospital. Bentley had served in the Australian Infantry Force during
World War I and spent time on Lemnos in the Aegean Sea recovering from malaria.

It was designed with the intention of providing a home rather than an institution for returned service men, and
in this respect reflected the contemporary attitude towards hospital design in the I920s. The layout and plans
for the new hospital were the result of consultation between the Inspector General for the Insane Dr J T
Anderson and the principal architect of the Public Works Department. Mr W 0 Hardwick. The final design
was domestic in scale and detail with an emphasis of symmetry in the facade and the intention to give it
Australian character. The scale and detailing of the buildings and gardens contrasted with the grander but
more forbidding institutional buildings and open landscape characteristic of Claremont Hospital (now
Swanbourne and Graylands Hospitals).

Lemnos was officially opened by Governor Sir William Campion on the 12 July 1926 in the presence of
Colonel Semmens (Commonwealth Repatriation Commission), S W Munsie, MLA (the Minister for Health)
and Premier Collins.

Following World War II the number of patients at the hospital increased. resulting in the construction of a new
closed ward in 1955. An additional ward block was constructed in the 19605. The hospital currently houses
geriatric patients suffering from mental illness. Among them are a very few of the original returned servicemen.

In more recent years n number of other mental health facilities have been established on the land around
Lemnos Hospital. In 1965 the Shenton Park Day Centre opened. This was renamed the Selby Community
Clinic in 1967. In 1983 Administration Offices for Mental Health Services were constructed and in 1987
Selby Community Clinic was extended and the Head Injured Unit and the Child Psychiatric Unit were
relocated to the site. In November 1995 a commemoration plaque wac; unveiled by Mr A Bansemen to
recognise the naming of the Sclby-Lernnos Hospital.

Integrity/Authenticity

Excellent

Condition

Excellent

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
W B Hardwick Architect - -

Other Reference Numbers

Ref Number Description
SP1 LGA Place No

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
4127 Lemnos Hospital/Selby Centre (Proposed Shenton College) Shenton Park: conservation plan. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1999
5947 Shenton College/Lemnos Hospital : referral plans. C D Rom 2002
3157 Lemnos Hospital Shenton Park Heritage Assessment Heritage Study {Other} 1997

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use HEALTH Hospital
Original Use HEALTH Hospital
Original Use HEALTH Asylum

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Mediterranean

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TILE Ceramic Tile
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OUTSIDE INFLUENCES World Wars & other wars

Creation Date

23 Feb 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

13 Apr 2018

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.