inHerit Logo



City of Fremantle

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


42 Wray Av Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1903

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 2

Level 2

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of considerable cultural heritage significance in its own right within the context of Fremantle and its conservation is a priority.

Statement of Significance

House, 42 Wray Avenue, is a typical brick and iron single storey house dating from 1903. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers' houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.

Physical Description

42 Wray Avenue is a single storey, face brick and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The house has face brick walls with brick quoins and a corrugated iron roof. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof supported by rendered masonry side walls and round steel posts. The house sits above the street level and there is a set of concrete steps leading up to the verandah level. The house is one of three in a row of the same design (38, 40 & 42 Wray Avenue)


Wray Avenue was originally Hampton Street. The named was changed to avoid confusion with the intersecting Hampton Road. It became Alexander Road, after Laurence Alexander, Mayor 1901-1902, and a representative of Falk & Co. The street name was again changed to avoid confusion with Alexandra Road in East Fremantle, and became Wray Avenue in 1923. It was named for William E Wray, at one time with the Education Dept as Truant Inspector, and a resident of the street. He was on the Fremantle Tramways Board and Mayor of Fremantle, 1914-1918.

The houses were formerly numbered 40, 42 &44 Wray Avenue; the numbering changed in 1935/36.

This group of three houses at 38, 40 & 42 was built in 1902/03 for the owner John Pattinson Beresford who also built the adjacent duplexes at 9/11 and 13/15 Wray Avenue. Beresford worked as a police officer, brewer, and publican. At different times he ran the ‘Pearler’s Hotel’, ‘Star Hotel’ and the ‘Esplanade Hotel’. The properties were used as investment properties and were leased out to various tenants.

The first occupants of the three cottages in 1903 were J. Lewis, painter, Mrs J. Farrell and Samuel Lawrence, a police constable. The rates books do not distinguish which occupant lived in which house. The Beresford family were owners of the three cottages until at least the 1920s. Afterwards the ownership was split.

The tenants between 1938 and 1944 according to the Western Australian Post Office Directories were still the original occupants: J Lewis, Mrs J Farrell and S.W. Lawrence.

The 1908 sewerage plan of the site shows that these three brick houses were identical in form. Each had front verandahs access by a long flight of steps parallel to the street. At the rear of the houses were galvanised iron additions. In the back yard of each house were brick closets and in the rear of 40 and 42 were galvanised iron sheds.

This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Red: "Significantly contributing to the unique character of Fremantle")


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Other Keywords

The Fremantle MHI management category for this place was amended and adopted by the decision of Council on 28/09/2011.

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Architectural Styles

Federation Bungalow

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Face Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Land allocation & subdivision

Creation Date

05 Jan 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

03 Mar 2020


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.