61-63 High St Fremantle
Constructed from 1906
|Heritage List||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Register of the National Estate||Permanent||21 Mar 1978||
|Classified by the National Trust||Classified||28 Oct 1974||
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust. Awning and shop fronts are not significant.
Two storey building on corner site with single storey at rear onto Pakenham Street. There is a highly decorative first floor façade featuring 'Central Chambers' in stucco, a parapet with balustrade and five highly decorative pediments. The pilastered and stucco arched windows have decorative stucco above and engaged low piers below. There is an original entrance between the shops with stained glass leadlight sidelights and French doors between. The awning over the ground floor shop fronts are not original.
High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
William Pearse's butcher shop dating from 1850s, a Georgian style two storey building with she-oak shingled roof, was originally on the lot. It was updated with a cgi roof and verandahs c1870s, before being demolished c1906 to make way for this building. Built by R Rennie and designed by F Burwell in 1907, it originally had verandahs, removed 1952. Owners in 1957, J & W Bateman added a loading ramp (rear?) (Plan 1062).
In 1991 Duncan Stephen & Mercer Architects made changes to the shopfront, (from 1950s, not original) carrying out a photographic survey prior to changes. In 1993-94 the first floor was converted to two residences, as well as alterations to the rear and renovations of the façade, by the March Partnership Architects & Interior Designers. A photographic survey and measured drawings were completed prior to changes.
In 2002, ground floor housed Fremantle Surplus Store and Aboriginal Art Emporium.
Currently (2013), ground floor houses Fremantle Surplus Store and Love in Tokyo.
Individual Building or Group
|Other Use||COMMERCIAL||Shopping Complex|
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Office or Administration Bldg|
|Present Use||COMMERCIAL||Office or Administration Bldg|
|Federation Free Classical|
|OCCUPATIONS||Commercial & service industries|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.