inHerit Logo

Baldivis Primary School

Author

City of Rockingham

Place Number

03127
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

342 Baldivis Rd Baldivis

Location Details

Corner of Fifty and Baldivis Rd. Reserve 23952, Lot 1376 on Plan 190710.

Other Name(s)

Baldivis Play Group
Day Centre & Art Centre

Local Government

Rockingham

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1924, Constructed from 1923

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 30 Oct 2009

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Apr 2018 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection- recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places. Development would require consultation with the City of Rockingham. Maximum encouragement to the owner should be provided under the City of Rockingham Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. A detailed Heritage Assessment* and Impact Statement should be undertaken before approval is given for any major redevelopment. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be also be considered.

Statement of Significance

The place has aesthetic value as a modest weatherboard and iron school building in the Inter War style. It is representative of the one room school type designed and built by the PWD during this period.

The place has historic value for its association with the Group Settlements established on the Peel Estate from 1922.

The place is a rare remaining example of the group settlement schools in the region.

The place has social value for the many members of the community who have attended the school or the play group at the location.

Physical Description

A pair of timber framed and iron former classrooms located on the edge of the Baldivis Reserve and overlooking Baldivis Road.
The two buildings are similar in their execution, both one room structures with front and rear additions. The external walls are clad with fibre cement sheeting and weatherboard cladding to the east elevations. Windows to both are 6-over- timber framed sashes, with awnings to the openings on the north elevations. The northernmost building has four windows to the north and south elevation whilst the second building has three openings to the north and south elevations. Both buildings are accessed by ramped timber veranda’s with skillion canopies. The rear additions have skillion roofs and are a combination of enclosed and open spaces extending across the full width of the building.
A commemorative rock and plaque has been placed within the grounds commemorating the memory of the pioneers of the district, 1923.
The buildings are located approximately 50m apart, forming a central grass quadrangle between them. There are several mature peppermint trees (Agonis flexuosa) surrounding the buildings, particularly along Baldivis Road.
A number of secondary buildings are also located around the site.

History

These two school buildings were built during the time that Group Settlements were established on the Peel Estate, from 1922.
A total of four schools were built; the first at Baldivis (Group 50-54), followed by those at Karnup, Wellard and Group 81. The first application for a school was made in July 1923 by the settlers on Group 50 and 54. It was completed on 20 October 1923, and opened in February of the following year.
The school buildings were of the standard one-roomed country type designed and built by the Public Works Department. The classroom was constructed so that the room could be divided if required.
At first this school site was known as Group 50-54 School, but in June 1926 its name was changed to Baldivis, as by that time, Group 54 was served by the Wellard School.
The Group Settlement population of school-age children declined in the 1930s. The Group 81 School closed around 1936; the Karnup School around 1940; and the Wellard School closed in 1947-48. By 1950, only the Baldivis School remained and its population was increasing. In 1950, a new shelter shed was built. In 1953, the school population was 52.
In 1954, the former Group 39 School was removed and re-erected at the Baldivis Reserve adjacent to the Baldivis School building. The Baldivis Primary School operated from this site until 1978.
In 1978, a new brick building was constructed west of the original school site on the site of the current Baldivis Primary School. The primary school has been operating from that site since then and grown and developed in response to the growing population. The two original school buildings have continued to be used and are currently [2017] occupied by the Baldivis Play Group.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High Degree
Authenticity: High Degree

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Place Records City of Rockingham MHI
Aerial Photos Landgate
Baldivis Primary School Conservation Plan 2011

Other Keywords

Architectural Style - Inter-War

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9910 Baldivis Primary School (fmr) 342 Baldivis Road, Baldivis WA Electronic 2011

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Primary School
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall TIMBER Weatherboard
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Immigration, emigration & refugees
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

12 Sep 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

14 Feb 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.