inHerit Logo

William Smart Dewar's Home - Site

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

17914
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Brand Hwy Gingin

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Hillview
The Farm

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1862

Demolition Year

1900

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 4

Category 4

A site without built features, but of some cultural heritage significance to the Shire of Gingin.

Physical Description

The masonry was mud bat plus limestone and ironstone with floors of sawn timber blocks. The roof was shingled. The main house consisted of three rooms, living and bedrooms, a separate kitchen and store rooms, dairy with cellar below, stables, cowsheds and an underground fresh water tank, etc.

History

In 1862, 23 acres were surveyed for W.S. Dewar. He married Emma York of Creaton. A flourishing farm establishment once stood here as attested by a watercolour painting owned by descendants. The home was built on the bank of a winter stream, which flows through the Dewar flats. John York, who was William's father-in-law, built the house, presumably in 1862.
Part of the old house was used as a Schoolroom for several years c 1903. The whole establishment was completely burnt out by a disastrous fire in 1914. It had not been occupied for some time. The property was transferred to W.G. (Gladstone) Dewar, grandson of W.S. Dewar and is now owned by his daughter, Marion Bird. Biddaminnie School - In 1903 The Education Department received a petition from settlers north of Gingin re the establishment of schools at Biddaminnie (W.A. Dewar's home on SL 183) and Bootine. The old homestead was not occupied and a Schoolroom was prepared by opening a doorway in the end room of the old kitchen. In approximately 1908, this School operated (half time) with Bootine until 1909, when due to poor attendances both schools were operated from Biddaminnie.

Condition

Site Only

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use FARMING\PASTORAL Homestead
Other Use EDUCATIONAL Combined School

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall EARTH Adobe {Mud Brick}
Wall STONE Limestone
Roof TIMBER Shingle

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Grazing, pastoralism & dairying
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

02 Aug 2007

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.