inHerit Logo

Dominican Convent Chapel of St Hyacinth (fmr)


Shire of Yalgoo

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


Henty St Yalgoo

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1922, Constructed from 1920

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Permanent 11 Dec 1998 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 19 Jun 1996 Category 2

Category 2

High level of protection appropriate: provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place.

Register of the National Estate Indicative Place

Heritage Council
Classified by the National Trust Recorded 27 May 1974

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

The Dominican Convent Chapel has high historic significance for its role in the religious outlook of the local community. The chapel has further significance for its close association with Priest Architect Monsignor John Hawes. The building is a prominent landmark feature of the town and nearby surrounds, commanding an elevated location.

Physical Description

The Dominican Convent Chapel is a small stone building located to the west of the townsite. The corners of the building have stepped buttresses while the gable ends feature stone crosses at the apex. The chapel has a tiled roof and features a tall weatherboard bell tower (belfry) painted white with a steeply pitched pyramidal CGI roof. The tower has a stone base. The upper section of the tower has four slit openings while the east elevation features an pointed arched timber door. Immediately to the north of the chapel is a grotto which has caved in. All that remains of the convent/school, which was located to the east of the chapel, are two stone chimneys. The convent was a weatherboard and CGI building with verandahs to all sides. The large aluminium framed viewing window to the east elevation of the chapel is an addition.


In 1920 Monsignor John Hawes designed the Chapel for the Irish Dominican Sisters who had come to Yalgoo at his invitation and lived in a timber convent school overlooking the town. Hawes assisted a local builder, H.C. Jenny, with the construction of the chapel. Completed in 1922 the chapel, which had fallen into bad repair, was restored during the 1980s by the Shire of Yalgoo.


Integrity: Medium Degree
Modifications: Large aluminium framed viewing window to eastern elevation.




Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Yalgoo Museum Photograph Collection.
"Monsignor Hawes Heritage Trail brochure".

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
3777 Convent Chapel of St Hyacinth Yalgoo-An Assessment of the Cultural Significance and a Conservation Plan Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 1998
4597 Partial Restoration to the Convent Chapel of St Hyacinth, Yalgoo. Report 2000

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use RELIGIOUS Church, Cathedral or Chapel

Architectural Styles

Inter-War Romanesque

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof TIMBER Other Timber
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile
Wall STONE Other Stone

Historic Themes

General Specific

Creation Date

05 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.