inHerit Logo

McGuires Creek Railway Bridges

Author

Shire of Northampton

Place Number

09055
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Geraldton-Ajana Rlwy nr McGuire Siding Northampton

Location Details

South of Isseka off Percy Road, near McGuires Mine

Local Government

Northampton

Region

Midwest

Construction Date

Constructed from 1879, Constructed from 1935

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - To be assessed Current 27 May 2005
RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 29 Apr 2005

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Lge Timber Str Survey Completed 11 Dec 1998

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 19 Apr 1996 Category 1B

Category 1B

HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT AT LOCAL AND POSSIBLY STATE LEVEL. Highest level of protection appropriate: warrants further assessment for possible entry into the State Register of Heritage Places. Provide maximum incentives under the Town Planning Scheme with encouragement to the owner to conserve the significance of the place. Prepare a floor plan and photographically record the place prior to any redevelopment.

Statement of Significance

The railway bridge has high historic, social, aesthetic and scientific significance as a remnant of the first
government railway and its associations with the earliest mineral fields in the State. Its significance also
derives from the contribution to the lives, occupations and social structure of Northampton and what
were formerly the Gwalla and Wanerenooka mines.

Physical Description

The site of the railway bridge creek crossing is near the McGuire's mine (Site No.144). There has been an earlier
bridge of which the stone abutments remain, set lower and to the west of later, reinforced concrete bridge. The
timber sleeper deck of the bridge is suffering from termite damage. Large earth embankments support the
approaches to the bridge of the original rail line.

History

The first government railway was built between Geraldton and Northampton to service the increasing output of the
mineral fields. Although construction commenced in 1874 the line was not opened until 1879 having cost twice its
intended cost and by which time the price of lead had slumped.
Chronology Entries
1877 The first 28km of the Northampton Railway was opened.
26/07/1879 The Geraldton-Northampton Railway was completed and officially opened by Governor Ord.
1957 The Geraldton-Northampton-Ajana Railway was closed, the last train ran on 29 April.
1962 The Geraldton-Northampton railway line was removed.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Low

Condition

Poor

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Murszewski, A; "Feasibility Study into leisure trail conversions of the Geraldton to Galena and Wokarina to Yuna Railway Lines", MidWest Trails Group. 1999

Place Type

Other Built Type

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use VACANT\UNUSED Vacant\Unused
Original Use Transport\Communications Rail: Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall CONCRETE Reinforced Concrete

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS Rail & light rail transport

Creation Date

17 Jul 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

31 Dec 2016

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.