inHerit Logo



Fremantle ARCHIVED 201216

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.


12 Grey St Fremantle

Location Details

Local Government




Construction Date

Constructed from 1907

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage List YES 08 Mar 2007 City of Fremantle

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Sep 2000 Level 3

Level 3

The City of Fremantle has identified this place as being of some cultural heritage significance for its contribution to the heritage of Fremantle in terms of its individual or collective aesthetic, historic, social or scientific significance, and /or its contribution to the streetscape, local area and Fremantle. Its contribution to the urban context should be maintained and enhanced.

City of Fremantle

Statement of Significance

Foundry, 12 Grey Street, is a brick and iron single storey industrial building dating from 1907. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the former industrial nature of this area in Fremantle. The place is an example of the Federation Warehouse style of architecture.

Physical Description

12 Grey Street is a single storey brick and iron industrial building constructed in c1907. The building has a painted brick front wall with a parapet. The side walls are clad with corrugated iron. The simple gabled corrugated iron roof sits behind the brick parapet wall. There is a double timber framed door centrally located in the front facade. The door is flanked on either side by timber framed windows with 9 panes each. The building is located on the front boundary line. The building is a very simple example of the Federation Warehouse style of architecture.


Foundry, 12 Grey Street was constructed in c1907 for the firm established by the Furphy Brothers as a jobbing foundry casting both bronze and cast iron. The Furphy family were active in the foundry business for many years in NSW and were well known for their manufacture of a particular type of water cart called a ‘Furphy’. The cart was used in Sydney and overseas during World War One. Brothers Samuel and Felix Furphy had arrived in Western Australia in 1903 and established their foundry business. Two years later they were followed to Western Australia by their parents Joseph and Leonie Furphy. Joseph Furphy was an author and is best known for his classic novel ‘Such is Life’ written under the pseudonym Tom Collins. The Furphy families settled in Swanbourne and were some of the earliest settlers in that area. The homes of Joseph and Leonie Furphy; and Sam and Mattie Furphy have been relocated to Allen Park in Swanbourne. Both homes are on the State Register of Heritage Places.
The Furphy brothers operated their business from the Grey Street workshop from 1907 as this is the first year it is recorded in the Post Office Directories. Joseph Furphy is known to have helped in the foundry when needed.
Eric Hogg purchased the foundry in 1939 and operated the business until 1960 and then a partnership was established with Gran Hickling. The building then became known as the E & G Foundry after these two men. Eric Hogg retired in 1970 and the foundry continued to operate until 1987 when Gran Hickling retired. The business closed in 1989 with the downturn in demand for this type of product. The owner in 1989 was J R and M S Honey.
The 1908 sewerage plan of the site shows that the foundry was built in galvanised iron and was two structures close together. The position of the smelter is shown at the rear of the building. A closet is located at the rear of the block.
A photograph of the building in 1978 shows the brick painted façade was in relatively good condition although some window panes were broken.
This place was identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80 as being of cultural heritage significance. (Coded: Red: "Significantly contributing to the unique character of Fremantle")
In 1989, an application was received from the owner J R and M S Honey to construct two two-storey dwellings at the rear of the block. Architect Brian Klopper oversaw the restoration project and the design of the new buildings. An extensive series of photographs were taken of the foundry prior to its adaptation. These photographs are available for viewing in the Fremantle Local History Collection and detail the interior of the building and the practices involved in the foundry.


High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).


Condition assessed as good (assessed from streetscape survey only).

Place Type

Individual Building or Group


Epoch General Specific

Architectural Styles

Federation Warehouse

Historic Themes

General Specific
OCCUPATIONS Manufacturing & processing

Creation Date

20 Jul 2011

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

01 Jan 2017


This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.