inHerit Logo

Katanning Swimming Pool

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

07075
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

Piesse St Katanning

Location Details

Faces Park St

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1938

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 5

Category 5

• Contributes to local character • Significant but not essential to history of area

Statement of Significance

The Katanning Swimming Pool was a significant pool at its time of construction, both in size and technology and unusual in that not many pools were built inland. It was comparable to some of the best pools in the Eastern States as well as in Europe. It provided the people of Katanning with another area of recreation and social activity, especially with the development of the Katanning Swimming Club, which competed with other country swimming clubs.

Physical Description

A concrete pool, 100ft long and 36ft wide with a shallow end of 4ft and deep end of 9fit 6in. The pool had concrete steps and an iron ladder and the deep end was secured from children by wooden fencing. There was a high dive as well as a springboard and a frog shaped fountain. The area was landscaped with lawn trees and concrete approaches. It is regarded as the first inland pool and was the first in the state to be operated scientifically.
The buildings are utilitarian treated in Post-war Functionalist style.

History

The swimming pool was installed in the Katanning Park (the site of the original showgrounds) by the then Katanning Road Board in 1938. The total cost was £3400.
The money was raised with a loan from the Commonwealth Bank extending over 20 years. Messrs Wanke, Dale, Bowden and Synnott formed the Swimming Pool Sub-Committee. Work had commenced by March 1938, Mr Collingwood and Evans in charge of construction.
The pool officially opened on Saturday 12th November 1938 with an attendance of about 900 people. This occasion was marked by the special demonstrations given by famous swimmers such as Percy Oliver, Dorothy Green, Ernie Hobbs and Bob Trend.
The pool was the first scientifically operated and the first of its kind - in size and structure - in WA. The pool, made of concrete was 100ft long by 36ft wide and the depth of the pool varied from 4ft to 9ft 6in.
Provision was made for children in a section referred to as "Mug's alley". Which was an area of the pool separated from the deep water by a wooden fence. An 18in parapet wall also prevented splashing. Filtration and Water Softening Pty. Ltd provided the filtration system. The wooden stand, which held the tank for the pool, was erected by Messrs Budd and Thomas (For £23/10/-) and was made from white gum timber. Water was provided by an underground bore, sunk by the Katanning Road Board in 1937.
Other features of the pool area were the concrete approaches, buffalo lawn surrounds, a grove of well-shaped jam trees, a shop (run by Peter Alabach) and dressing rooms. The pool contained a springboard (donated by A Thomson), concrete steps, an iron ladder (at the deep end) and a high dive at the south end. There was also another special feature that of "Flip" the frog, which was created by the supervisor Collingwood out of concrete and with dress-button eyes. The frog sat at the edge of the pool "projecting a double stream of water through his nostrils". [GSH, 16/11/38,p. 4]
Another pool, Olympic size, was constructed alongside the original pool in 1971.

Condition

Fair

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Newspaper Article". p.2 Great Southern herald; 15/1/38
"Newspaper Article". p.3 Great Southern Herald, 13/8/38
"Newspaper Article". p.3 Great Southern Herald, 9/7/38
"Newspaper Article". p.4 Great Southern Herald, 16/11/38
"Katanning's Jubilee: a complete history of the progress of the town and district from 1889 to 1939". p.3 Great Southern Herald, 1939
"Newspaper Article". p.3 Great Southern Herald, 12/11/38

Place Type

Historic site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Other

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall CONCRETE Other Concrete

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Sport, recreation & entertainment

Creation Date

27 May 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.