inHerit Logo

House

Author

Shire of Gingin

Place Number

03717
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

15 Constable St Gingin

Location Details

Cnr Constable & Barlee St This place briefly had another P number (P17919) as there were originally two different addresses (9 and 15 Constable Street). It was determined that 15 was the most up to date street number.

Other Name(s)

Mrs Thom's House

Local Government

Gingin

Region

Avon Arc

Construction Date

Constructed from 1886

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 18 Oct 2005 Category 3

Category 3

A place of some cultural heritage significance to the Shire of Gingin. No constraints. Recommend: Encourage retention of the place, and document the place if retention is not possible.

Classified by the National Trust Classified 03 Jul 1978

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 28 Sep 1982

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

A historical Gingin building.

Physical Description

The house contains 5 main rooms and a passage from the front door. A good example of the use of local limestone in rubble stone walls with dressed stone quoins. The house has asymmetrically spaced windows to the front facade and these are unusual timber framed with small panes and sliding construction. Another interesting feature is the saw tooth bargeboard detail. Built out of local materials by the Hill family in 1886, for their own use.
When the house was renovated in 2007, it was converted into 4 main rooms with the fifth room being divided into an Office, bathroom and storage room.
The previous kitchen and bathroom on the back verandah have been demolished and replaced with new.

History

The original owner was Frederick Felix Hill who was married to Ellen Dewar. He was a Town Councillor in 1893 and worked as a contractor. F.F. Hill died in 1936 and his daughter, Clara Campbell, inherited the house. Mrs Rose Thom of Gingin now owns it.
Rose Thom left the property to go into a home and later died. Her husband is also deceased.
The house was renovated in 2007, when ownership was taken over by RD and IF Dewar.

Condition

Very Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
H Udell: "History of Gingin".

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence
Present Use RESIDENTIAL Single storey residence

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall STONE Limestone
Other STONE Local Stone
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
DEMOGRAPHIC SETTLEMENT & MOBILITY Settlements

Creation Date

24 Jul 1995

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.