inHerit Logo

West End, Fremantle


Heritage Council

Place Number

There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.



Location Details

Bounded by Market Street to the east, Collie Street and Marine Terrace to the south, Little High Street to the west and Phillimore Street to the north, and including the lots on the northern side of Phillimore Street between Cliff and Henry Streets.

Other Name(s)

The West End Heritage Area, Fremantle

Local Government




Construction Date

Demolition Year


Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
State Register Permanent 18 Jul 2017 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
(no listings)

Child Places

Physical Description

The West End Heritage Area is characterised by small lots, narrow streets and buildings of similar size and form. The area remains highly intact with a predominance of buildings dating from the mid nineteenth century to the early twentieth century. Streets are relatively homogenous with attached buildings two to three storeys in height, of stone or rendered masonry constructed to the street boundary. The majority of cross streets (Pakenham, Henry, Mouat and Cliff Streets) contain former bond stores and warehouses. These do not generally open onto the street and do not have verandahs or awnings over the pavement. By contrast High Street, the main commercial street through the West End, comprises buildings with shop-fronts and verandahs or street awnings. Bank buildings, however, did not generally have verandahs or awnings. The West End Conservation Area also contains a pocket of mid-nineteenth century dwellings in the Bannister and Nairn Streets area.


On 2 May 1829, Captain Fremantle of the Challenger landed at the mouth of the Swan River, and chose the strategic point of Arthur Head as the military camp and future capital. Lots in the new town were arranged to fit in with the natural landforms. Initially the port for Perth, Fremantle eventually became the Colony's primary port after sucessive waves of improvements that allowed sea-going vessels to berth. Warehouses began to be built from the 1870s, and development accelerated withthe arival of the railway (1881) and the Gold Boom (1892). The redesign of the harbour by C. Y. O'Connor in 1897 changed Fremantle from a small sea-side town to a busy industrial port. Merchants built warehouses, commercial premises, hotels and boarding houses to support the commercial interests associated with the shipping industry, and replaced the cottages and terraces that had previously characterised the area. Fremantle's importance as a port city strengthened during WWI and during the inter-war years when there was a boom in the wool trade. Increasing mechanisation after WWII resulted in a reduced workforce and impacted on businesses in the West End, which was exacerbated in teh 1970s with planning decisions that shifted the retail centre further east, and the West End became isolated from new development. The revival of the area began as Fremantle prepared to host the defence of the America's Cup in 1987 and the area has gradually gentrified since then, particularly with the arrival of the University of Notre Dame to the area.

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
11515 84 - 86 High Street, Fremantle: Archival record Archival Record 2017

Place Type

Precinct or Streetscape


Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Other
Present Use COMMERCIAL Other

Architectural Styles

Federation Free Style
Federation Warehouse
Victorian Georgian
Victorian Regency
Federation Academic Classical
Inter-War Free Classical
Inter-War Functionalist
Federation Romanesque
Inter-War Stripped Classical
Federation Free Classical

Historic Themes

General Specific
TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATIONS River & sea transport
OCCUPATIONS Commercial & service industries

Creation Date

24 Jun 2014

Publish place record online (inHerit):


Last Update

31 Dec 2016


This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.