inHerit Logo

Albany Senior High School

Author

City of Albany

Place Number

00012
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

61 Burt St Mt Clarence

Location Details

Local Government

Albany

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1918 to 1925

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions or Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category B

Category B

• Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

Municipal Inventory Adopted 30 Jun 2001 Category C

Category C

• Retain and conserve if possible. • Make every endeavour to conserve the significance of the place through the provisions of the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any development. • Photographically record the place prior to any development.

Statement of Significance

Albany High School has important aesthetic, historic, representative and social cultural heritage significance. Though the campus has grown over time, many of the original buildings constructed between the wars are still in use today. The school also provides a vital service for students in the outer Albany rural areas.

Physical Description

Elevated position, with a sweeping outlook
Two storey building of brick and tile construction
Main building has central section with brick portico
Lower section of wall exposed brick, upper section rendered and painted
Hipped roof (tiled) with cupola
Wings extending on both sides from central section
Verandah on top floor, arched loggia on ground floor of wings
Exposed brick pillars and arches

History

The Albany High School began 99 years after the founding of the settlement of Albany in 1826. The foundation stone
was laid in 1918, after the end of WWI. The brick building on the present site was opened in 1925. It followed the
architectural style found in many larger country towns throughout Western Australia, having been designed by the
government architects of the day, possibly by Hilton Beasley.
Prior to this time, the education facilities for secondary aged students in Albany had been very limited. Some
scholarships were available to secondary schools inPerth, but few rural parents could take advantage of this. Albany's
secondary students were housed in the primary school. They wore no special uniforms and do not appear to have
continued schooling after 15 years. The subjects taught were merely an extension of primary school, with the addition
of French, Agricultural Science, and some emphasis on Household Management and Woodwork. Some wooden
buildings were erected at the rear of the headmaster's House to accommodate these practical students.
After a concerted effort and lobbying from the Albany parents' Citizens' and Teachers' Association, plans for a senior
school came to fruition and the school building was completed by 1925. It had classrooms, laboratories, a dark room, a
large gymnasium, and Household Management Centre. The Depression put an end to the expansion of education in
WA, leading to overcrowding in schools, as those who could not find work returned to school. Class sizes increased,
there was a shortage of teachers, and buildings deteriorated. WWII was also a setback for education, restricting the
expansion of educational opportunities for students. Although, for many years Albany High School was used for adult
and apprenticeship courses. To commemorate those who had died in the war, and in memory of the former principal,
FM Reedy, a memorial rose garden and the Reedy Memorial Sundial were established.
Over the years since WWII the school has expanded and grown, with ever expanding opportunities for students to have
a well-rounded education. In 1985 the school celebrated its diamond jubilee and in the year 2001 continues to provide a
vital educational foundation for the young people in the Albany district.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Modifications: Some newer buildings, in a different style

Condition

Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Heritage TODAY Site visit and Assessment 1999
B Hicks; "Albany Senior high School, It's History-It's People".
Heritage Database 1994

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use EDUCATIONAL Secondary School
Original Use EDUCATIONAL Secondary School

Architectural Styles

Style
Inter-War Georgian Revival

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof TILE Terracotta Tile

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Education & science

Creation Date

14 Jun 1988

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.