inHerit Logo

Federal Hotel

Author

Shire of Katanning

Place Number

01351
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

111 Clive St Katanning

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Fairclough Federal Hotel

Local Government

Katanning

Region

Great Southern

Construction Date

Constructed from 1904, Constructed from 1913

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
(no listings)

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Statewide Hotel Survey Completed 01 Nov 1997

Heritage Council
Municipal Inventory Adopted 25 Jan 1996 Category 3

Category 3

• Significant as an individual building within the Shire

Statement of Significance

The Federal Hotel has historic value in its relationship to the early development of Katanning and also because of the precedent set by its second owner, Fairclough, with brewery contracts (see historical information). There is also some social value, as the hotel would have been one of the focal points of social activity and early hospitality and tourism.

Physical Description

Three-storey Federation Italianate hotel building in rendered brickwork. It has decorative strings and cornices with the words "Federal Hotel" in bas-relief over the first floor level.
A suspended metal awning has replaced the two-storey verandah. The original joinery is in tact with windows in the form of double-hung sashes.
The front doors are a pair of raised panel doors with sidelights and a three panel lead light over. New openings have been introduced in the salon bar area. Additions along Richardson Street are more ephemeral and appear ad hoc.

History

The Federal Hotel was constructed in 1904 as a two-storey hotel, the third storey was added in 1913. It was the third hotel for Katanning, opening its doors in September, after some controversy over whether Katanning needed another hotel. The original proprietor of the hotel was Alfred Pearmine and the manager was James Conroy. In about 1907 the hotel passed into the hands of the Fairclough family. It was James Fairclough who added the third storey, the family name still seen on this part of the hotel. The Fairclough's stayed on until the early 1920s.
During this time at the Federal, Fairclough came to blows with the brewery to which he was contracted. As the brewery could not supply an order, Fairclough turned to another brewery and was sued by the first brewery for breach of contract. Fairclough took his case to the high court of Australia and won. As a result, Fairclough set a precedent whereby hotels could from then on deal with any brewery without breaching contract.
The next licensee of the Federal was Lou Hambley, who ran the hotel from about World War II until the early 1960s.

Condition

Fair - Good

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
Bignell M; "A Place to Meet: a History of the Shire of Katanning Western Australia". pp. 210, 235 UWA Press 1981

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Original Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn
Present Use COMMERCIAL Hotel, Tavern or Inn

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Italianate

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Wall BRICK Common Brick
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Community services & utilities
OCCUPATIONS Hospitality industry & tourism

Creation Date

31 Jan 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.