inHerit Logo

Peelhurst (ruins), Golden Bay

Author

City of Rockingham

Place Number

03256
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

178 Dampier Dr Golden Bay

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Thomas Peel Juniors Homestead
Thomas Peel Reserve

Local Government

Rockingham

Region

Metropolitan

Construction Date

Constructed from 1860

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
(no listings)

Heritage Council Decisions and Deliberations

Type Status Date Documents
RHP - Assessed-Below Threshold Current 22 Feb 2013

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 24 Apr 2018 Category A

Category A

Worthy of the highest level of protection- recommended for entry into the State Register of Heritage Places. Development would require consultation with the City of Rockingham. Maximum encouragement to the owner should be provided under the City of Rockingham Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. A detailed Heritage Assessment* and Impact Statement should be undertaken before approval is given for any major redevelopment. Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be also be considered.

Statement of Significance

The following statement is taken from the Peelhurst Ruins Conservation Management Plan prepared in 2010.
Peelhurst ruins are the remains of a single storey limestone rubble cottage built c.1860 by Thomas Peel Jnr (Tom Peel) as his residence. Adjacent to the ruins are plantings which demonstrate former occupancies. These include an olive tree, fig trees and introduced plantings used for decorative purposes and kitchen garden plants. The ruins are located within an informally landscaped setting which features a former track and depression, which may relate to water procurement or storage. The place has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons;
• Peelhurst ruins are an example of early stone construction in the Rockingham region which demonstrate the form and scale of housing in the mid-19th century.
• The place is associated with the earliest settler in the region, Tom Peel who established his landholding, Peelhurst in the early 1860s. It is also associated with the Paterson family who owned the landholding from 1882 to 1949 who were significant in the establishment of farming in the region;
• The use of ticket-of-leave labour in the construction and establishment of the Peelhurst landholding and possibly the cottage is indicative of the type of work undertaken by these men and demonstrates the contribution they made to the development of the colony in the 19th century;
• Peelhurst ruins are of exceptional archaeological significance. Preliminary research has established artefact deposits located to the west of the site and there is potential for artefacts to be located in the subsurface deposits within and around the ruin, relating to the occupation and use of the place;
• The presence of the adjacent fig trees is of value as it demonstrates the evolution of farming practice in Western Australia in response to local conditions, and;
• The place has aesthetic value as a landmark within Golden Bay and for its scenic collection of elements within the natural landscape.

Physical Description

Limestone ruins of the former Peelhurst cottage. Evidence of the floor plan remains partially evident but the majority of the fabric has been lost. Legibility of the cottage is no longer evident. The remaining fabric is deteriorating quite rapidly.

History

Peelhurst ruins are the remnants of a stone cottage built by Thomas Peel Jr (Tom Peel) in the early 1860s. The cottage was within a large landholding which Tom Peel named ‘Peelhurst’.
The cottage was never completed but was occupied by Peel and his housekeeper Mrs Spencer until approximately 1882 when the property was sold to brothers William and George Paterson. The Paterson’s acquired the landholding, to provide a coastal run for their sheep from their property ‘Creaton’ in Pinjarra.
The cottage was not permanently occupied during ownership by the Paterson family although a caretaker did occupy the cottage for some periods. The Paterson’s subdivided the large landholding and in 1949 the lot on which the Peelhurst ruins were located was sold to engineer Cyril Robbins.
In the 1960s, the large landholding was subdivided for residential lots and sold under the name ‘Golden Bay’. Since that time Golden Bay has slowly developed from a holiday destination to being absorbed within the greater Perth metropolitan area.
The lot on which Peelhurst ruins are located was acquired by the City of Rockingham in 1991 and it has been maintained as a reserve since that time.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: Low
Authenticity: Low

Condition

Poor

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
9736 Peelhurst ruins. Lot 40 Dampier Drive, Golden Bay. Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2011

Place Type

Historic Site

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use PARK\RESERVE Park\Reserve
Original Use RESIDENTIAL Other

Creation Date

12 Sep 1997

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

19 Feb 2020

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.