36-44 High St Fremantle
Constructed in 1897
|Town Planning Scheme||YES||08 Mar 2007|
|Municipal Inventory||Adopted||18 Sep 2000||Level 1B||
The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Two storey truncated corner and rendered building.(Henry St: single storey rendered façade.) The façade features a simple parapet and remnants of lettering appearing in the pediment. There is a central entrance with French doors and timber double hung sash windows.
The decorative parapet has engaged small arched piers and 'Marich Bldgs' is imprinted in stucco across the corner. The engaged pilasters on the ground floor aside timber windows, the first floor has decorative engaged pilasters with stucco arched hopper windows between. There is pressed metal lining under the ceiling of the veranda awning (probably not original).
High Street was named by Surveyor General Roe - as was customary in English towns, the main street of the town was named High Street. Eastward from William Street the roadway was completed by convict labour after the Town Hall was built in 1887. High Street around the Town Hall closed to traffic in 1966. The High Street Mall was trialled in November 1973 and made a permanent pedestrian mall in 1975.
The earliest building recorded on this site is the Royal Hotel in 1844 (Chauncey-Snell survey). No evidence remains that any of this original building was retained in later development of this site. Site investigations and documentary evidence reveal a single storey stone shop/ residence on High street prior to 1884. A stone building of similar vintage was constructed fronting onto Henry Street.
A PWD plan of 1897 show a group of buildings on lots 80 and 801 in an arrangement similar to what exists today. The building was owned from 1880 to c1948 by the Brockman family.
Nicholas Marich was the owner from 1948 to 1991. In late 1970s, No. 22 was a lodging house.
In 1994, alterations were carried out by Ralph Hoare Architect.
Currently (2002), commercial use, under renovation.
The Fremantle MHI management category for this place was amended and adopted by the decision of Council on 28/09/2011.
Individual Building or Group
|Original Use||COMMERCIAL||Hotel, Tavern or Inn|
|Federation Free Classical|
This data is provided by the City of Fremantle. While every care is taken to ensure the accuracy of this data, the City of Fremantle makes no representations or warranties about its accuracy, reliability, completeness or suitability for any particular purpose and disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages (including indirect or consequential damage) and costs which you might incur as a result of the data being inaccurate or incomplete in any way and for any reason. Under no circumstances should this data be used to carry out any work without first contacting the City of Fremantle for the appropriate confirmation and approval.