inHerit Logo

Masonic Temple

Author

City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder

Place Number

00175
There no heritage location found in the Google fusion table.

Location

134 Burt St Boulder

Location Details

Other Name(s)

Masonic Hall

Local Government

Kalgoorlie-Boulder

Region

Goldfields

Construction Date

Constructed from 1901, Constructed from 1902

Demolition Year

N/A

Statutory Heritage Listings

Type Status Date Documents More information
Heritage Agreement YES 24 Apr 2012 Text of the Heritage Agreement
Heritage Council
State Register Permanent 12 Dec 1997 Register Entry
Assessment Documentation
Heritage Council

Other Heritage Listings and Surveys

Type Status Date Grading/Management More information
Category Description
Municipal Inventory Adopted 09 Jul 2001 Category 1

Category 1

The place is registered with the Heritage Council of WA as it has a high level of significance to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and to the state of Western Australia. All applications to carry out work on the place will need to be referred to the Heritage Council of WA for its approval.

Classified by the National Trust Classified 06 Sep 1976

Heritage Council
Register of the National Estate Permanent 21 Mar 1978

Heritage Council

Statement of Significance

Assessment of Significance: Masonic Temple is typical of the Federation Academic Classical style of architecture common throughout the goldfields during the gold boom. The building with its moulded exterior enhanced by its central porch makes a contribution to the streetscape. Its streetscape value has been diminished by its front boundary fence. (Criterion 1.1)

The construction of Masonic Temple is closely associated with the rapid population growth in the eastern goldfields at the turn-of-the-century. (Criterion 2.2)

From the day of its opening, the place has been held in high regard by the local Masonic fraternity.

Masonic Temple is representative of the Federation Academic Classical style built for modest sized public architecture. (Criterion 6.1)

Statement of Significance: Masonic Temple, a single -storey Federation Academic Classical style brick building, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

- the place makes a contribution to the streetscape with its moulded exterior enhanced by its central porch;

- the place is closely associated with the rapid population growth in the eastern goldfields at the turn-of-the-century;

- the place is an expression of community wealth and prominence; and,

- from the day of its opening, the place has been held in high regard by the local Masonic fraternity.

A timber framed and corrugated-iron clad caretaker's quarters at the rear of the site is not included in this assessment.

Physical Description

Masonic Temple is a medium-sized building built in the Federation Academic Classical style (Apperly et al, 1989: 100-103) set back from the street alignment. This style was used to express community wealth and prominence and is common throughout the goldfields which grew and prospered following the discovery of gold in the early 1890s.

The front elevation is framed by two established date palms and the building is surrounded by gravel. The exterior walls are constructed of red fair-faced bricks laid in Flemish bond on a small rendered plinth. The building has a projecting facade bay and a central porch which is a feature of the exterior.

The building is symmetrical about a well proportioned porch. Although enclosed, the porch is reminiscent of a classical temple front with Tuscan columns at its front corners that sit on a rendered platform, and a Doric entablature with a triglyph and metope frieze. The porch is crowned with a triangular pediment featuring a painted 'T' square and compass, the emblem of the masons, set against a rendered background.

Either side of the porch, the breakfront has rectangular windows, the panes of which are now painted over. The roof is hipped and covered with corrugated iron with metal roof vents and timber bracketed eaves. The height of the walls is broken by a rendered sill and string course. The sill course extends to the main wall.

The projecting bay stands in front of the wall to the temple room. The wall is built in matching brickwork and is embellished with rendered decorative treatment. The wall has end pilasters, blind windows and a rendered parapet with an Italianate balustrade. The parapet conceals a hipped roof with vented gablets and two small lanterns. The blind windows have a semi-circular arched head, with decorative infill, supported on pilasters.

A sheet metal fence added across the front boundary restricts visibility of the facade and diminishes its streetscape value.

The interior of the porch features tessellated floor tiles, four leaded and stained glass windows with centre motifs, and a pressed metal ceiling. The timber panelled door is an addition.

The interior of the building comprises a central hall with two ante-rooms on the west, and an ante-room and store room on the east. The hall leads to the main temple room, and a supper room behind.

Entrance to the hall is through a doorway with a semi-circular fanlight, for which the glazing is now missing. The hall features an archway supported by square pilasters with a pronounced keystone and a moulded soffit, tall skirting boards, ceiling roses, and painted walls in blue hues to represent the blue lodgeship. Pressed metal ceilings and roses have been used to decorate the ante-rooms. The timber floorboards have been covered with carpet.

The interior treatment of the temple room is highly elaborate. The metal ceiling is multi-coloured and heavily embossed with an ornate cornice and four large roses. Three pendant lights illuminate the central space which is covered by a patterned carpet. The centre pendant features the letter 'G' for God. The south wall is strengthened with brick piers with a double-hung sash window and awning fanlight between each pier. The windows are now boarded over and furnished with red velvet curtains. At the centre of the east wall is a small archway supported by square pilasters with capitals. The archway has been enclosed. A raised podium extends across the east wall. The podium is covered with a large black and white chequered patterned linoleum. An organ and carved timber furniture in a grand style for the master, past master, immediate post master, deacons, secretary, treasurer, wardens and inner guard add to the grandeur of the interior.

The original entrance to the temple room was through double-doors at the end of the hall. The doors have been fixed shut and the new entrance is through an existing door in the ante-room on the west side of the hall.

The walls of the supper room are also strengthened with engaged piers with a window in between, but lack the ornamentation of the temple room. All window panes have been covered.

A storeroom has been added behind the temple room (date of the addition is unknown) and c.1990, a kitchen was added to the supper room. The timber framed additions are externally clad in corrugated iron and the kitchen is internally clad with fibro-cement linings. The additions are at a lower level to the original building.

With the exception of rising damp, the building is in good condition. An apron of blue metal has been placed around the building against the exterior walls in an attempt to increase moisture soakage (discussion with Master Keith Edwards, 1 March 1996). Vandals have damaged the windows on the west elevation.

At the rear of the site is a timber framed ripple-iron clad, single-storey caretaker's quarters. The building, which is in very poor condition, does not form part of this assessment.

History

Masonic Temple is a one-storey brick and iron building, constructed in 1901-02 to provide meeting facilities for the growing number of Freemasons in the Boulder area.

On 27 February 1900, the Grand Lodge of Western Australia was "regularly formed, assembled and properly dedicated to the work of the Ancient, Free and Accepted Masonry …" (Grand Lodge of WA of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, 1950: 5). The formation of a Grand Lodge, local and supreme, marked the attainment of autonomous government in matters Masonic. The first Lodge in Western Australia had been established in 1843. Growth was slow, until the 1880s when progress started to became more rapid. The increase in the number of lodges reflects the more prosperous conditions prevailing in the colony. The first impact of the gold discoveries boom also hastened the movement to establish lodges in the older settled areas.

By October 1899, there were 35 lodges in existence, owing allegiance to the Grand Lodge of England. Both the Kalgoorlie and Boulder Lodges were formed in 1897 (Grand Lodge of WA of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, 1950: 7).

On Wednesday, 11 December 1901, the foundation stone for Masonic Temple was laid. Mr M. McKay Hopkins was the architect and Mr J.V. Miles the builder. The Western Argus noted the event:

"On Wednesday December 11 1901, the foundation stone was laid by the Boulder Masonic Lodge. Visiting brethren from many centres were present in considerable numbers.

The Most Worshipful, the Grand Master, the Hon. J.W. Hackett arrived from Perth and a procession was formed to march to the site. Unaffiliated brethren followed with the architect, Bro. M.M. Hopkins, next carrying plans of the hall.

On arrival at the site the procession opened and allowed the Grand Lodge Officers to march between the files to the dais. ...Before lowering the [memorial] stone the Grand Secretary read the inscription: 'This stone was laid on December 11 A.L. 1901, by the Hon. J.W. Hackett, M.L.C., M.W.K.M., W.A. Freemasons. Frank Mitchell W.M.; Tobert Hay Sect; M.McKay Hopkins, Architect; J.V. Miles, Builder'.

A phial containing a list of officials, copies of the Kalgoorlie Miner and Evening Star and coins of the realm were placed underneath the stone which was lowered and declared to be truly laid. Corn, wine and oil were then poured over it and the building was solemnly consecrated by the Grand Chaplain. The architect, Bro. Hopkins, presented his plans, and the M.W.G.M., after inspecting them, ordered him to proceed with the construction of the building without loss of time" (Western Argus, 17 December 1901: 18).

In 1998, although membership is decreasing, Masonic Temple continues to be used for its original purpose.

The Insurance Plans for Boulder c. 1900 illustrate that Lot 204 was occupied by the Masonic Hall.

Integrity/Authenticity

Integrity: High
Authenticity: High

Condition

Good

Associations

Name Type Year From Year To
M. Hopkins Architect 1901 1902

References

Ref ID No Ref Name Ref Source Ref Date
"Grand Lodge of Western Australia of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons (1950) Golden Jubilee History 1900-1950, ". p.5,7 Paterson Brokensha, Perth. 1950
"Newspaper Article". p.18 Western Argus 17 December 1901

State Heritage Office library entries

Library Id Title Medium Year Of Publication
5812 Photographic record of the additions and caretakers dwelling at the rear of the Boulder Masonic Lodge, Burt Street, Boulder. Report 2002
9885 Boulder Masonic Temple Heritage Study {Cons'n Plan} 2011
9977 Boulder Masonic Lodge - adaptation. Archival Record 2012

Place Type

Individual Building or Group

Uses

Epoch General Specific
Present Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Masonic Hall
Original Use SOCIAL\RECREATIONAL Masonic Hall

Architectural Styles

Style
Federation Academic Classical

Construction Materials

Type General Specific
Roof METAL Corrugated Iron
Wall BRICK Common Brick

Historic Themes

General Specific
SOCIAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES Institutions

Creation Date

30 May 1989

Publish place record online (inHerit):

Approved

Last Update

01 Jan 2017

Disclaimer

This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.